• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

finding a 5r55e

funguy26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/75R16
I need a 5r55e because the overdrive band die. and now wreck the whole trans. 6 mouths ago I lost 2nd and 5th found out overdrive band burn out. told the family to drive with O/D off and try to skip 2nd. Nope transmission goes in to limp home mode today, this is my guest to what happen today the glitter in the fluid got in to the solenoids and grounded out everything I got codes for everything thing related to the Transmission. So now i'm going to get a use transmission but when I look up the 5r55e, the ones on ebay say 5r55e but came out of a 3.0L truck. so the question did ford stop making the 5R44E to just make the 5r55e and build all v6 rangers with just the 5r55e?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the back of 3.0 and 4.0 engines are different, so the transmission must match the engine. 3.0 tranny for 3.0 engine,,,,,,4.0 tranny for 4.0 engine.
that glitter has circulated thru the lines and cooler. they must be thoroughly cleaned (or replaced) or they will contaminate the new tranny.
it's a very good idea to put a filter in the return line.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
5R55E is the generic model number for the 5R44E as well

5R55E only came on the 4.0l V6
5R44E came on the 3.0l or 2.3l engine, so if its from one of these engine then it won't fit, what I assume is your 4.0l

And year matters, 4.0l Rangers got the 5R55E in 1997, and it was used until 2011 BUT.......................there were different versions which can make a big difference, different sensors and speedometer setups

So what YEAR is your Ranger?

And not that it matters but the 55 = 550 ft/lb torque capacity, 44 is 440 ft/lb capacity

EDIT:

I see its a 2001 Ranger, oops, lol
Then you can only use a 2001 to 2011 5R55E, they have the OSS and ISS sensors
And it must match your drive train 2WD or 4x4 are not interchangeable, so from a 4.0l 4x4 only

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals