• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally have to pull the trans.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Time doesn't matter as much as a job done right.
I agree completely but, I had to set some priorities. I didn't take the top off (where the minor leak is, 1/2 fl oz per month). I didn't put the freeze plugs in (not leaking, now). I didn't do the end seals (they don't appear to be leaking), but I think should be done anyway, left the harness bracket off....knowing I'll have to do again. Hopefully in 2-3 years. At 500 to 1000 miles a year I had to decide what was absolutely necessary and what wasn't.

Why I continue complaining about the time.
I have half a small roof and some fascia to do on my well house, immediately. I can put 8 ft lumber in my Integra if I put one end on its dashboard, bad idea. I'm going to use the Ranger. ASAP. Sometimes priorities dictate how much I do. At least next time I'll know a lot more about what I'm doing from this experience, and from everybody's help here.

I'll still post the rest so it's a start to finish thread.

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Please do let us know how it turns out.

And I can completely agree with how you've prioritized what to get done, and what to skip for now. Besides getting the truck back in service, now you know for sure what the other minor issues are, and you also know your way around on pulling and working on your truck's transmission.

You've done good with it. (y)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks! I'm glad somebody understands what I had to do....

Question: my driveshaft has one u-joint at the rear and what I think is a CV at the front. Is that "single-cardan"? If it is, Haynes manual says 8 to 15 ft.Lbs. ( bolts to differential)???? I'm surprised it's that low. They seemed harder to get off, tho that could've been from age and rust.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No apparently that's the companion flange. AlldataDIY says 70 to 95 for the main bolts. Seems more likely.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Torque spec for '94 2WD driveshaft to axle flange bolts is also 70-95 ft-lb, per the Ford shop manual.

I'm not familiar with Rangers having CVs, especially that late. My Bronco II did, until I converted auto to manual and converted to U-joint. Here's what the difference looks like:

One u-joint is single cardan, two u-joints together is a double cardan, which can be called a constant velocity, or CV, joint. I would think that your 2WD truck should be a single cardan, both ends.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Torque spec for '94 2WD driveshaft to axle flange bolts is also 70-95 ft-lb, ....
In alldata, there's a bunch of stuff related to this:

Technical Service Bulletins

97-20-16 09/29/1997 Driveline - Vibration/Boom
Vibration, technically, is a high-frequency trembling, shaking or grounding condition, felt or heard, that is constant or variable in level and occurs during a portion of the total operating speed range.
Driveline vibration due to improper driveline angles.
...the driveshaft must be balanced as described in the 1997 Ranger Service Manual, Page 05-00-29.

I"ve never seen one like this, except having been under my truck. It does look like a typical u-joint except....I'm guessing this is a damper to deal with the above issues (especially if it was a "high frequency" vibration) . It's about 5 inches in diameter. I never paid any attention to it, except it was something I've never seen anything like before.

A heavy bit of metal.

Otherwise today, I had undone part of the fender well to put the clutch hydraulic line back in. I didn't want to bend it....so I put the fender well back together. I filtered and filled the trans with synchormax, and got the driveshaft up to 80 ft.lbs.....not sure if I'll try for 90, or not.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my 2005 with 2.3 manual had one of those big rings too, it fell off a couple years ago.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my 2005 with 2.3 manual had one of those big rings too, it fell off a couple years ago.
Fell off? What happened? What kind of damage?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My guess is the ring is a vibration dampener. Never seen anything like it on the older trucks. And, you can see the u-joint on yours in the pic.

Vibration/Boom
Vibration, technically, is a high-frequency trembling, shaking or grounding condition, felt or heard, that is constant or variable in level and occurs during a portion of the total operating speed range.
In all of the four-banger Rangers that I've had, I always thought that the "boom" was the truck breaking the sound barrier. Now, just where did I set my meds?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Fell off? What happened? What kind of damage?
the rubber adhesive failed allowing the ring to come completely loose.
I noticed a clunking when coming to a stop, the ring was wobbling around on the front U joint.
we were several hours from home, so I just kept driving, then removed the ring a couple days later.
didn't seem to damage anything, I've been driving it without the ring for several years now.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The ring on the driveshaft for my V8 swap would have been way too close to the fuel tank for comfort. I sliced it off and haven't noticed any significant vibrations from not having it. Certainly no more than I get from other places on the truck like the large tires, etc.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My old 96 had one of those dampers as well. I'm curious if it's a 4 cylinder thing, or just a 2wd thing. Haven't dealt with very many 2wd trucks that are not 4 cylinder powered.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I can't remember what my rear driveshaft was originally in, but definitely not a 4 cylinder. It either came out of my Ranger (4wd V6), the donor Explorer (2wd V8) or the Sport Trac that I pulled a bunch of parts from (V6). Of those, the most likely is the Sport Trac.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the rubber adhesive failed allowing the ring to come completely loose.
I noticed a clunking when coming to a stop, the ring was wobbling around on the front U joint.
we were several hours from home, so I just kept driving, then removed the ring a couple days later.
didn't seem to damage anything, I've been driving it without the ring for several years now.
Out in the boonies, most of my driving is at 60 to 70. If you were far from home we're you hitting those kind of speeds? Considering my driving, I'm wondering what would happened if it came loose at 70-75.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In other words, my Ranger has 170k miles and I've seen no issues with the driveshaft, but it is 24 years old. I fully intend driving it another 10-15 years (low miles). So should I knock off that ring in the future. ...yeah, I know. Maybe nobody can answer this question, but I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals