• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally have to pull the trans.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Can you get a 60mm and just shorten it? Although I do think cleaning up the one you have will be fine
I'd still have to order it, even at 60mm. Most of what everybody has is 45mm and shorter, or 100mm.... I may order a couple encase I can't get the torque on the old one. I mean order it now so I won't have to wait a week to proceed, but go ahead and use the old one... hoping.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've also got a 13mm impact swivel coming...but 3/8s drive. The 1/2 in drive didn't fit in very well, and my torque wrenches are 3/8s drive anyway.

....a lot of the 10m bolts I've found also take a 15mm wrench, too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did figure out where the o-ring belonged. There's a groove here on the input shaft you can't see, but its there. I found a little rtv in the mounting holes for the slave cylinder, so I'll put some in during its installation.

I did find the right size bolt for replacing the messed up bolt that goes in the top. I may NOT use it if I can avoid it. With a 15mm head, it'll take more space and leave less working space for the sockets.....and the impact swivels I purchased are 13mm. I'm still thinking I should use the original bolt and see if I can get the torque on it, if possible.

I got my copper anti-seize and an extra quart of syncromax, but I've decided to spend a little more time cleaning the transmission....just with paper towels and some gas, so I don't make a big mess on my floor.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Weird, I have never seen an o-ring in that location.

Are you sure you found RTV there? Blue locktite maybe, RTV would make no sense. Those bolt holes dead end, nothing will ever leak out of them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It was red to brown...just to make the bolts stick...just a little in the holes. I was going to use aviation gasket sealer (brown thick liquid) Just a little on the threads. It sticks well and I always have it on hand....made by permatex.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Everything is ready, so tomorrow morning I start putting it back in.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Good luck to you, you're on the home stretch now. :)

-Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The trans is on the engine. Flush, with 4 bolts in. .....took me 3 hours and 15 minutes. I don't think that's bad for a first time....old fart job.

It took many angle and height adjustments to get it against the dowels, then I had to put my bottle jack under a front corner of the bell housing to rotate it a little. It moved freely so I wasn't worried about it. I had a couple pieces of paint stick between the bottle jack and bell housing. By then the angle was pretty close and I put the two bottom bolts in enough to hold well, lowered it and put the two second from the top bolts it and starting tightening them.....in order, round the clock to keep them even.

It wasn't bad. Time consuming, I took 6-8 short breaks. I'd call it damn fussy, but all and all, it went well.
Four bolts worth. Lots left to do.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Today I have to figure out how the wire loom attaches to the trans...and put the rest of the bolts in.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Figured out, yes but....there is a bracket that bolts to the second and third from top bolts on the driver's side. However, the harness doesn't stretch that far. The trans has to be higher, near it's fully mounted position. That means the top two bolts must torqued down first. I did get a 13mm x 1/2" drive impact swivel. It's a bit to big to get full torque. Tomorrow I've got a 13mm x 3/8" drive impact swivel coming. Hopefully that'll fit well enough to get the torque.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That bracket is kind of a pain and is missing on many trucks I've dealt with, probably for the exact reason you have run into.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That bracket is kind of a pain and is missing on many trucks I've dealt with, probably for the exact reason you have run into.
Gee, I'm glad somebody knows the bracket I'm talking about. I prefer to keep it. At my truck's age....I think it's important to keep the harnesses anchored. All the old wires and connectors.

Really, regardless of age they're important.

Last edited:

Jackrabbit88

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't mind I have a question,I have a 95 with the 2.3 l and m50r1 transmission. Not sure if our bell housing are the same but I have 8 bolt holes, one bolt was missing and of the 7 I have one is about 3/8" longer. I'm wondering if this is the right bolt and if so which hole is it for?
I made a post asking but someone recamended I come ask here since your in the middle of the same thing. 👍

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you don't mind I have a question,I have a 95 with the 2.3 l and m50r1 transmission. Not sure if our bell housing are the same but I have 8 bolt holes, one bolt was missing and of the 7 I have one is about 3/8" longer. I'm wondering if this is the right bolt and if so which hole is it for?
I made a post asking but someone recamended I come ask here since your in the middle of the same thing. 👍
There's at least 3-4 different length bolts. When I took mine out, I labeled them and put them in different bags. Now most are installed back and I wouldn't know which is which without removing them. Maybe somebody here tell tell you where to find out.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I thought some of y'all would get a kick out of this....something you don't see real often. My two work trucks in West Texas. The F350 was of course, the 7.3 and had "mechanical" fuel injection. What computer. I had it almost 10 years. Both are '92s. I kept the 150, and many times I wish I'd kept the 350 instead. Right now the 150, even with only 150k miles is parked under my carport....unregistered, uninsured, with problems. Master cylinder, both fuel pumps.....but that's about it. The F350 with 380k miles is running strong....even now, according to the guy that bought it when I left in early 2017.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals