• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally. A permanent power steering whine fix!

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I hope I can hear u telling me over the power steering whine all around me.lol

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Gonna be tough to hear if Jim Oaks has his truck running.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Further feedback on this conversion: I did it on my 1992 Explorer last weekend. I did have to replace the pressure side power steering hose as my original leaked immediately but it was pretty crusty so I'm not sad about that. I got a junkyard pump, reservoir and pulley for $50 so I had about $120 into the conversion. My old pump was making a chattering noise when it warmed up so I am sure it was on its way out.

My initial thoughts are that the conversion was easy and cheap. It is definitely very quiet and required almost no effort to bleed the system. The bracket kit is well made and the instructions are easy to follow.

A secondary issue I had was my power steering would not function at all for about 30 seconds at idle on a cold startup (with the old pump.) I was pretty convinced that it was the pump at fault but I am pretty sure I still have this issue, it's just not as bad, seems to happen for maybe a couple seconds now at most. If I rev up the engine a bit it'll start working. Not sure if I still have air in the system, kinda doubt it after 200 miles but it's possible I guess. Maybe a fault of the steering box, I replaced that with a reman unit a couple years ago. I am going to continue driving it as-is and see if it works itself out... I may try a different size pulley as well... it would be nice to have more fluid moving at low RPMs. None of this issue is a fault of the Jeep pump or Proquipped kit, I think it's just a quirk of my truck in particular.

papasmurfor9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I did the same swap. It’s quiet as a mouse now. No more whine

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Will this swap also work for my '08 F150 5.4?

oldguy67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I actually put Lucas power steering treatment in a Mustang once and took all the noise away.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm. Have three Fords currently. Don't have a clue what whine you're talking about. Only whine I hear on my 04 Lightning is the supercharger. None on my 98 3.0 Ranger or my 07 4.0 Mustang. Had numerous Fords before, no whine.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Hmmm. Have three Fords currently. Don't have a clue what whine you're talking about. Only whine I hear on my 04 Lightning is the supercharger. None on my 98 3.0 Ranger or my 07 4.0 Mustang. Had numerous Fords before, no whine.
I don't believe any of yours are old enough to have the noisey pump in question.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Can't believe y people think the pump noise is really an issue???I don't think it's even bad enough to even mess around with.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sure looks that way. 2002-2006 Liberty with the 3.7 V6.
But only guaranteed to fit 98-00 Ranger.
looks like it fits a 1993 4.0

Ford Saginaw conversion FAQ
Will this work with my 1990-00 Ranger 4.0?
YES

This kit was designed as a bolt-in conversion for the 1990-00 Ranger 4.0.
Which pump do I need?
The pump you see in the photos is a Saginaw TC from a 2002-2006 Jeep Liberty V6. The instructions reference using this pump and pulley because it comes with an attached reservoir and a pressure port located on the bottom, which allows for use of your factory high pressure hose, however many other Saginaw TC pumps can be made to fit (especially if you choose to run a remote reservoir).
Will this work with my pre-93 Ranger 4.0?
YES

The power steering brackets are the same on earlier trucks as the 93+ models, so this conversion will allow you to mount a Saginaw TC pump on your engine. The earlier trucks don't have rack and pinion, so the factory high-pressure line may need to be bent slightly to fit. Here is a customer photo of a Jeep Liberty pump installed in a 1990 Ford Ranger.
Will this work with my 3.0 V6?
YES

Customers have successfully installed the Saginaw TC pump on their 3.0 V6 engines using this kit. . Here is a customer photo.
Will this work with my 2001-2012 4.0 V6?
NO

When Ford designed the 4.0 OHC engine for use in the 2001+ Ranger and Explorer they switched to using a Saginaw TC pump from the factory and you will not require this conversion to enjoy all the benefits of the Saginaw pump.

Can I use a high-performance pump?
YES
There are a number of high performance Saginaw TC pumps available to suit your needs and they can be made to fit. High performance pumps do not come with an attached fluid reservoir and will require a remote reservoir setup.

Which brand of pump do you recommend?
New OE pumps are ideal but very cost prohibitive.

In our experience the quality of remanufactured pumps is okay, but this process relies on the quality of the core and care of the rebuilder (which can be unreliable).

The best quality/value are low-mileage used pumps sourced from an auto recycler. These pumps will also often come with a pulley already attached.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This guy did this upgrade on a '94 explorer

You just use the stock jeep pulley from the junkyard and your current serpentine belt.

Parts #'s
Sag swap kit: Proquipped P1 adapter kit https://proquipped.com/shop/ols/products/p1-adapter-kit
Sag pump Napa #: PS 381314N (2006 Jeep Liberty V-6)
PSC pulley #PP2401: 4.5 Inch Power Steering Pump Pulley, 6 Rib Serpentine
for Type II/CBR/CBX Power Steering Pump
Resi cap was a Dorman brand for the Heep Lib, as it's not included with the new pump for some odd reason.
It's not a cheap pump swap, but if your tired of a weak sauce whining Ford P pump, then the costs of this will not bother you at all. I'm happy its done, and happy I had help doing it. Plan on half a day![\quote]

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This guy did this upgrade on a '94 explorer

You just use the stock jeep pulley from the junkyard and your current serpentine belt.
As I mentioned above I did it on a '92 Explorer and it worked great.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Thanks for reviving this thread. I'll need it later.

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
I’ve had my share of fords over the year’s. Every single one has the horrible steering whine. Mercon v flushes. New pumps. Multiple bleed procedures. Never could seem to get the noise to go away.

Ive seen in the tech articles about using a Saginaw pump to eliminate the noise. Problem is, those pumps are impossible to find. And not cheap when you do. So I spent hours researching. And much to my surprise. I came across a company that had a fairly simple solution to this age old problem.

This company machined an adapter That bolts to your existing power steering bracket. And allows you to use the modern Saginaw TC pump. Found on the 2000s Jeep liberty’s. They advertise it for a 4.0. But I personally just installed one on my 3.0. And it worked perfectly. And it’s DEAD SILENT. All the lines mounted right up. It fits perfectly. And the instructions were super clear.

im not affiliated with them by any means. I just was very pleased with the results on my own truck. And wanted to share with you guys. Check it out!
Question plz. I installed this set up on my 3.0 and it works great. The one thing I dont like is the way the pressure hose connects under the pump. The stock hose is way too long. Did you use the stock hose or did you find something shorter. I’ve developed a bad leak and as far as I can tell it’s from that bottom fitting because the hose pushes at such an angle. Thanks for the post and any info you have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals