• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Figuring out my GCWR/Max trailer weight

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

I've had this 1997 Ranger since 2000 and this trailer since 2001 and its never been a problem towing it. Except that before we got the trailer the rear end blew and the dealer refused to rebuild it so they put a random junkyard axle in there. According to the door sticker below it should have been an open 7.5" 4:10 gears and whats in there I believe is open 7.5" 3.55??? or somewhere around there. Don't worry, I have an 8.8 with 10" drums and 4:10 gears going in this winter to bring me back to stock gears and bigger brakes.

I've towed that trailer all over Ontario, Quebec and NB without issues except that going up steep hills even on the 401 often requires 3rd gear. But it does stop just fine.

Well recently the MTO is out cracking down on over weight trailers(finally, some sketchy ass shit on the road around here) and I just want to make sure my trailer when fully loaded is completely legal so I won't have issues.

I've attached my door sticker but I don't see a GCWR, only a GVWR which doesn't include trailer weight. Online I've found everything from 6000lbs (Kbb... out to lunch) down to 1000lbs(popupportal) for max trailer weight.

Any help making sense for this would be appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look here: https://www.fordf150.net/2007/2007-ford-ranger-specifications.php

That's for 2007 model year, couldn't find 1997, so Gen 3, yours is last year of Gen 2

So to be safe I would just add 1,000lbs to GVWR 4,580lbs for 5,580lbs for the 1997

There will be a list for all vehicles and years, and police looking for violations WILL HAVE IT :)
So the exact info is out there

Curb weight of 1997 Ranger extended cab is about 3,200lbs, and driver + "stuff", makes it 3,580lbs to make math easier, lol.
Leaving you with 2,000lbs for trailer and cargo in trailer

Manual transmission vehicles have lower towing limits, Automatics higher towing limits
Regular cabs have lower towing limits because of less overall weight, too much trailer weight can push them sideways

Last edited:

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
Have a look here: https://www.fordf150.net/2007/2007-ford-ranger-specifications.php

That's for 2007 model year, couldn't find 1997, so Gen 3, yours is last year of Gen 2

So to be safe I would just add 1,000lbs to GVWR 4,580lbs for 5,580lbs for the 1997

There will be a list for all vehicles and years, and police looking for violations WILL HAVE IT :)
So the exact info is out there
I found that link but some years have wildly different GCWRs floating around the internet. That's why I was trying to find something exactly for my year.

The reality is its just a little Flagstaff 176LTD that I'm towing so I doubt I'll attract attention. I just want to find something that shows exactly what weight the trailer can be or an exact GCWR.

I think you're probably right though, 5500lbs GCWR does seem pretty reasonable and that would set my trailer weight at roughly 2000lbs.

My trailer's GVWR is 2250lbs though so I'm not sure why they would have sold us something that could potentially put us over weight. but its a sales person, wouldn't put it past them.

Edit: generally speaking they tend to just open your door and look at the vehicle sticker to see but since mine isn't clear, i'm worried.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
RoamingCanuck:

Technically, it should be listed in the owners manual in the glove box.

2.3 manual transmission Ranger SuperCab - GCWR - 4,800lbs.

base curb weight - 3,159 lbs. but yours has power steering, heavy duty battery and suspension, so Ron's 3,200lb empty would be close. Then add your weight and any other items in truck. Note: That 8.8" with 10" brakes weighs 30lbs more than the 7.5" with 9" brakes.

Good news - Ontario/Quebec/New Brunswick don't need trailer brakes until you exceed 1,360kg (3,000lbs).

Here in Manitoba/Saskatchewan/Alberta, everything over 2,000lbs (907kg) or anything over 50% of the towing vehicle weight needs brakes.

Bad news: Flagstaff 176LTD has 1,465lbs uvw (unloaded vehicle weight).

You better weigh less than 100lbs.

RonD:

As stupid as it might be; the Ranger with the highest trailer towing capacity is the regular cab, 2wd, 4.0, auto with stepside box, as its the lightest.

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
RoamingCanuck:

Technically, it should be listed in the owners manual in the glove box.

2.3 manual transmission Ranger SuperCab - GCWR - 4,800lbs.

base curb weight - 3,159 lbs. but yours has power steering, heavy duty battery and suspension, so Ron's 3,200lb empty would be close. Then add your weight and any other items in truck. Note: That 8.8" with 10" brakes weighs 30lbs more than the 7.5" with 9" brakes.

Good news - Ontario/Quebec/New Brunswick don't need trailer brakes until you exceed 1,360kg (3,000lbs).

Here in Manitoba/Saskatchewan/Alberta, everything over 2,000lbs (907kg) or anything over 50% of the towing vehicle weight needs brakes.

Bad news: Flagstaff 176LTD has 1,465lbs uvw (unloaded vehicle weight).

You better weigh less than 100lbs.

RonD:

As stupid as it might be; the Ranger with the highest trailer towing capacity is the regular cab, 2wd, 4.0, auto with stepside box, as its the lightest.
lol. Well, i guess I'm going to risk it because I'm not selling my truck that has towed this trailer loaded safely for over 15 years over it. I'll just try not to draw attention.

I can't find the owners manual or I would have looked. The 4800 GCWR was in your manual?

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, for 2.3l 4x2 super cab

Manual for 1997 can be found here: http://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/ford-ranger-owner-manuals-1996-2011-models-3747/

Around page 200 is the towing specs
205 shows 1300 lbs for my truck. But I'm going to risk it for a biscuit. I know its safe because I can emergency stop in it fine, it doesn't push the truck around and I have no problem getting up to speed. There's literally no reason for the tow rating to be that low safety wise.

15 years it's been towing this exact trailer, I'll just play dumb. Or hey, photoshop a new sticker with a 4L regular cab towing capacity on it. lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The "Legal Department" for Car Makers MUST set lower limits based on the worst driver scenario.

And it is, collectively, our own fault, lol.
People sue car makers all the time, sometimes it is valid but mostly it is the "worst driver scenario"
It surprises me there are any bare spots left inside cars with all the warning stickers, lol.
Just waiting for a law suit that claims an accident because driver was READING warning stickers while driving.............
then they will need to add a "DO NOT READ WARNING STICKERS WHILE DRIVING" warning sticker :)

Towing is a "can" and "may" thing
Can is the ability to do something
May is the permission to do it

You CAN rob a bank
You MAY not rob a bank

You can tow 2,000lbs trailer, Ranger has the ability to do it
You may not tow a 2,000lbs trailer, Legally you are not allowed to

And you do have to watch out for that MAY thing, your insurance company requires you to operate any insured vehicle in a lawful manner, overweight towing can be a way for them to disallow a claim.
Even if trailer or weight was not a factor in an accident.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My question: If you are having to down shift into 3rd on 401, how are you avoiding attracting attention, when rest of traffic will be cruising past at 120+ km/h?

It isn't just "worst driver", its also worst conditions. While J2807 didn't exist while Ranger was in production, I don't have access to Ford's internal equivalent so, I will use the SAE specification.

For J2807, towing vehicle needs to be able to make it up Davis Dam grade at 40mph+ (minimum, not average) at rated GCWR on 100*F day with a/c on max. Note: At the top of the grade, a n/a engine is only making ~85% sea level power and portions of the grade are over 8.5%. While you may not have a/c or climb that hill; that was what was used to set the limit.

If you don't want to go to Arizona to test, you can test on Coquihalla (aka Discovery Channel Highway thru H*ll) in July, conditions are very similar.

Photo shopping a 4.0 regular cab Federal sticker over your existing one is a really bad idea (I know you were joking but just so no one else tries it) as it is modifying the VIN*. And if you have tampered with the VIN, you wouldn't just be getting a fine for overweight and calling a friend with a bigger truck to get the trailer home, you'd be looking for a new truck as well.

*If you don't change the VIN, when they scan your number, they get the OEM information and you won't have achieved anything. But given your VIN is linked to your plates, and their inputting your plates 99% of time changes nothing.

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
My question: If you are having to down shift into 3rd on 401, how are you avoiding attracting attention, when rest of traffic will be cruising past at 120+ km/h?

It isn't just "worst driver", its also worst conditions. While J2807 didn't exist while Ranger was in production, I don't have access to Ford's internal equivalent so, I will use the SAE specification.

For J2807, towing vehicle needs to be able to make it up Davis Dam grade at 40mph+ (minimum, not average) at rated GCWR on 100*F day with a/c on max. Note: At the top of the grade, a n/a engine is only making ~85% sea level power and portions of the grade are over 8.5%. While you may not have a/c or climb that hill; that was what was used to set the limit.

If you don't want to go to Arizona to test, you can test on Coquihalla (aka Discovery Channel Highway thru H*ll) in July, conditions are very similar.

Photo shopping a 4.0 regular cab Federal sticker over your existing one is a really bad idea (I know you were joking but just so no one else tries it) as it is modifying the VIN*. And if you have tampered with the VIN, you wouldn't just be getting a fine for overweight and calling a friend with a bigger truck to get the trailer home, you'd be looking for a new truck as well.

*If you don't change the VIN, when they scan your number, they get the OEM information and you won't have achieved anything. But given your VIN is linked to your plates, and their inputting your plates 99% of time changes nothing.
1. Third is 80km/hr

2. It had the wrong axle in it(3.55 gears, now at 4.10 gears)

3. Thats on a 10% grade

4. Yes obviously I was joking. the reality is if this trailer was towed for the last 15 years without an issue all through southern ontario as well where the MTO are basically NAZIs I highly doubt I'll have an issue now with the correct gearing and even bigger brakes.

Thanks though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals