• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fender flares do's and don'ts?

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Will try to make this quick.... I tried to do some fill welding on the few rusts spots on the wheel arches... The damage was to extensive so I got out my grinder and removed the damaged area trying to leave a good lip on the bottom and yes, there was still some good metal there... I am going to fabricate my own patches out of the old removed fender that I replaced and I have a flare tool I have used before that works extremely well... If the fender patch metal is too thick I will buy a sheet of weldable metal and use that... any idea what gauge that should be? The plan is to weld this patch in place and grind welds... fun.... and then cosmetic bondo etc.... When I am done I am hoping for the best but will cover the fender arches with aftermarket fender flares.... I don't want to throw in my billfold.... cheap set will be fine... lots of them on Ebay... anybody buy any of them and were you happy or disappointed? Bolt on, rivet on, or glue? Would just like to hear the good and bad before I order some off Ebay.... Thanks for your help.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Keep cutting.

Get a tig

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
... and grinding

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I bought a roll of 4” wide flexible flare that I just cut to fit & then used sheet metal screws to fasten to the wheel well lip. I had them on for a couple of years but took them off to put some stainless trim on, They were ok with my 15x8 rims but looked a bit odd with the stock width rims that are more tucked inside the fenders. I think I bought it off fleabay for around $50. The stainless trim I now have also came from fleabay, dont recall what I paid for it. Both have the disadvantage of rust forming between the flare & the body.
63F82C69-7879-4446-9D69-66123333E3CB.jpeg
3E901CAA-1DDA-4A59-A47E-81BB33FF07AA.jpeg
C5A0DA6F-81F6-4542-8848-20D1A62D7D71.jpeg
21128AB1-1F1A-4441-923C-8D1AC4642C0F.jpeg

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Bushwackers cover a lot of metal.

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Still working on this one and trying.... The patch on the passenger side came out fine... so I used some cosmetic bondo on it but it is slowly drying.... So I went to work and cut out the templates for the two areas on the drivers side, cut out the metal patches and bent them with a flare tool and installed them but did not weld them in yet.... lunch time you know. I stopped by Fleet Farm yesterday and they had "universal" fender flares on clearance so I thought I lucked out... regularly 62 and on clearance for $31... I passed on them.... not ready for them anyway... tried to buy catalyst for my half container of bondo.... can't buy it anywhere in a store and if you find it on Ebay get ready... $$$$ so I bought a gallon of Bondo at Walmart for $18 this morning.... wonder what is going on with the catalyst (creme hardener)....???? PS Found the Ranger flares on Ebay, seller said "easy install" but nothing else so I asked how they were installed... his reply was no better.... "easy install"..... Also.. found a You Tube video where a guy installs the fender flares and seals them correctly so crap doesn't get inside.... It was excellent... to be continued... I have all winter to finish this project.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals