• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FE Lifters in a Cologne

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can remove far more weight by hollowing out the core of the lifter than cutting in a waist. I suspect the waist is cut to improve oil flow - e.g. a Cleveland which needs to more oil to the rear mains.

Roller lifters are bad idea on a tappet lifter cam. As has been alluded to, the base of tappet lifter is slightly domed. Which in conjunction with fact that the lobe on the cam has a slight taper across its face, caused the lifter to turn in its bore as it goes up and down. This means you get even wear across the cam/lifter = takes long time to wear out.

For a hydraulic tappet lifter cam lobe, the lobe is tapered all the way around the lobe as the lifter is in continuous contact, so is spinning all the time.

For a solid lifter, while the lefter is on base circle, it isn't always in contact - when cold you have the few thousandths clearance. So, the base circle is flat and then the taper is slowly added as the lobe provides lift to rotate the lifter, and removed as lifter comes back to base circle. As the acceleration is slight, wear is minuscule.

If you put a solid lifter on a hydraulic cam, you are suddenly starting the lifter and that rapidly wears either the cam, the lifter or both = pieces of them in oil and failure.

If you put a roller lifter on a tappet lifter cam, only a small portion of the roller is against the cam due to the taper on the lobe. This results in high contact pressures and quick failure of lifter, cam or both.

Swapping between hydraulic and solid roller lifter cams doesn't have wear issues, but there are usually issues with profiles not being compatible.

Back to solid lifters - they are simple, they are light but they require maintenance. Wear on cam lobe, lifter, pushrod, rocker, valve stem & seat all have to be manually adjusted for. Which requires you know what you are doing and is messy - you are removing valve covers on a regular basis which is asking for a leak.

Enter the hydraulic lifter - for a slight bit of complexity and weight, you eliminate maintenance. But there is a drawback when you start using an aggressive cam.

The same functionality that allows the lifter to over fill (pump up) and keep the valve off its seat - becomes especially bad when you rev so high you 'float' the valve and/or is the profile of the cam results in the valve bouncing off the seat. In either case, the hydraulic lifter 'sees' this as wear and fills up to eliminate it. Hence the anti-pump up lifter, which reduces the tendency.

A side effect of an aggressive cam is poor idle - lift and duration for high rpms are excessive for low rpms. What Rhoades lifters do is allow a little oil to seep out at low rpm, so cam effectively has less lift/duration and engine idles better - kind of the opposite of anti-pump up lifter, they under fill the lifter at low rpm. Then as oil pressure/speed increases at high rpms, the lifters let less oil out, allowing the cam to have its specified lift/duration.

So, without changing the cam - lift/duration/overlap - there really isn't an advantage to FE lifters. Now putting in FE Rhoades hydraulic lifters with appropriate cam could allow more rpms while maintaining existing low end performance - assuming the intake and exhaust would support it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the run-down. I knew most of that but had also forgotten most of it as well.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I knew almost none of that a few minutes ago.

Thanks

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
sent the cad files that I drew up for the rocker spacers to a bunch of machine shops. So far, cheapest one quoted me $360, which means not happening.
Wow. I didn't think it would be that expensive. I guess the only alternative would be to find aluminum stock/pipe/conduit with the approximate I.D. (FE spacers are too big) and make some from that.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
@don4331 thank you, that was the exact answer I was looking for.

Negotiating a new 2.9 Granada fast road cam and matching solid lifters out of Norway right now. Will see what happens. Stay 'tuned

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Actually the FE went clear into 1976 for the 360/390 variant, FE stood for "Ford Edsel" and the engine family was replaced by the 335 engine family (351C/351M/400) and the 385 engine family (429/460).
welcome back ;)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
FE anti-pump up lifters inbound, as well as a cam and modified cam bearing set. :icon_thumby:

I do realize this was in contrast to the Rhodes option.

After some more talkins' and readins', I settled on the anti pump up for two reasons: high-rpm stability, and they were half the price of a set of Rhodes.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals