• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fault found in 09 Ranger heater design

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yesterday I replaced the blend door motor on my 09 Ranger. With the old motor out and the fan off,, and with my skinny fingers I was able to turn the blend door by turning the very top of the door mechanism. I could feel it turn and felt/heard it reach both ends of its sweep. I took the new motor from Napa and inserted the shaft just a little bit but did not screw it down. I then plugged in the new motor and turned the cold-to-hot selector knob. Once I had that knob turned to about 2oclock the door hit the far end. If I turned the heat selector knob further the not screwed down blend door motor turned into and hit the side of the ventilation housing to the left of the motor. I then screwed down the motor and tested it again with the key on but the radio and fan turned all the way down. I could hear the blend door motor groan and slow down once I turned the selector past 2oclock. The blend door motor wants to turn more than the blend door will. I don't think there is anything blocking the blend door. The blend door moved by hand easily. I could "not" feel it tilting like if the bottom of the hinge of the door was broken. Either I got the wrong motor or there is a design problem. I have read on another forum that a lot of the newer Fords have had trouble with the blend door motor failing.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Top of the door is split where the shaft inserts.

-PlumCrazy

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Here is the post from my build thread from a few years back.

I pulled the dash and the HVAC plenum so I could finally fix the blend door.

I used the Dorman blend door replacement kit (Part #5526-05055673). It ran me $11.99 + tax at Advance Auto Parts. This kit comes with a pattern to cut a hole that will allow you to remove the blend door with out splitting the plenum. The kit also comes with a new door (with a beefed up pivot point) and a new plate to cover the hole you cut and provide and mounting location for the upped pivot.

I just heated a razor blade with a micro torch and it cut like butter.

Here is the busted door next to the new one.

The plate will cause the motor to sit uneven since it is only under one screw hole. it would probly be okay, but I went ahead and slipped a washer under the other two mounting screws to level it out (I dont want to fatigue the shaft and have to do this agian.)

-PlumCrazy

-PlumCrazy

cc98ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone used the Heater Treater Door that this guy invented to replace the faulty door with an improved design without taking out the dash and plenum and can be done in as little as an hour and half? It is pretty slick and I know that the blend door in my 98 Ranger is starting to fail and because of the high cost for repairs, I have been putting it off until it totally fails. I am going to order his product to install. Google the above name product and go to his website and check it out. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals