• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Father In Law Ranger Help.. Engine Starts, but dies.. P0118, P0175, P0394, P0453

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well I'm going to be ordering a new CamSaft sensor and Fuel Tank Pressure since I've been asking some local mechanics as well as here and Ranger Nation Facebook Group.

I just found out that if I can get this truck running, My father in law is giving it to me.

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I just went back and re-read the comments, if I can't get the engine to actually start (it tries to turn but it just getting gas, no air). How can I record the voltages it's suppose to get? Is there an alternative test I could try to do? To try to isolate the voltage issue on the 3 error codes.

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Update:
I messed with the Spark Plug Distrubotor and the thing actually cranked! It was running very rough though. I also found out that my brother in law recently did the spark plugs, but he drove it to/from work for a few weeks before this issue started.

The codes it's throwing now are P0453 and P0113.

At this time I have the following questions:

I've searched the Tech Library but I cannot find what I am looking and Google is giving me images but not really explaining.. I'm looking for how the spark plugs order on the distributor itself and what order are they on the engine block if I'm looking at the engine block standing over the Radiator.

The Distobutor is currently set like this.

3 6
2 5
1 4
Radiator

3 - Passenger Side closest to the firewall spark plug on the engine block.
2 - Passenger Side middle on the engine block.
1 - Passenger Side closest to the radiator.

6 - Driver side closest to the radiator on the engine block
5 - Driver side closest to the firewall on the engine block
4- Driver side middle on the engine block.

I switched 4 & 5 on the Distributor and now it starts, but even if I press the gas pedal, it won't increase RPMs, it just barely idles whereas before it would not start at all.

I reran my scanner and it's throwing codes 0453 & 0113.

So if I can ask someone to please help me understand how the distributor should be for the spark plugs, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
3 4
2 6
1 5
front ^^This is how the spark coil pack is plugged. FYI: Distributor is a term used for older styled systems.

Your passenger side (right side, No. America) wires for cylinders 1,2 and 3 are correct.
It is only a coincidence that graphic representations of the cylinder numbers 1,2 and 3, and the coil location numbers 1,2 and 3, match.

Your driver's side (left side No. America) is incorrect. You plugged the wires into the wrong holes in the spark coil.
The CYLINDER numbers are 4,5 and 6 going front (radiator) to rear (firewall).
The SPARK COIL numbers do not match the CYLINDER numbers.

Cylinder #6 is the driver side closest to firewall. It's wire goes to the COIL SOCKET adjacent to #2.
Cylinder #5 is the driver side in the middle. It's wire goes to the COIL SOCKET adjacent to #1.
Cylinder #4 is the driver river side closest to radiator. It's wire goes to the COIL SOCKET adjacent to #3.

Go here for a short video:

You're not the first to make this mistake.

Last edited:

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
@Kira Thank you! I apologize for my ignorance on the wrong terminology, I'm trying to teach myself this stuff.

I when I switched 4 & 5 and it started, I kinda figured that it was incorrect.
My brother in law changed the spark plugs/wires like a month ago, but when I first opened this post is when it died so I'm surprised it last as long as it did.
All the diagrams I saw showed it as the following as the order, and I actually ended up finding the diagram on this forum's Tech Library (https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4_0_Page.shtml)
I also know that since I am not an auto mechanic by trade, I would have some difficulty understanding how to read this.

3 6
2 5
1 4

Below image is from https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4_0_Page.shtml
1633393452386.png

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I am going to ask it anyways.
I cleared all the codes on the truck and I got it running rough yesterday.
Well it's not actively throwing any codes for the 2 hours it ran yesterday, but it's not even wanting to start today.
The air intake and the air filter is completely under the smell of gas.

I honestly don't know if this is something to investigate, but could the fuel injectors be bad and just flooding the truck with gas?
If this is worth investigating, does any have advice on how to proceed?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals