• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Farm and Garden

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@RumPunch I think that's an awesome idea you got there... but I see a problem.

1651755866538.png

This one looks like a salsa planter... no?

So here is the problem I see... It is way overcrowded. I typically plant my peppers 3 feet apart. It looks to me like you have 8 pepper plants planted in half of that planter.... and cilantro and onion sets. I don't see any tomato plants but I will say that there is no room for any either. I also think your soaker hose should be on top of your dirt.... where they're at now will really only keep the sand wet.

I guess you can see how it does... but I have my doubts. I think one good pepper plant... one good tomato plant... some onion around to outer rim and maybe one cilantro plant is still pushing the limits of one planter.

Just trying to help... not that I know anything about growing tomatoes and peppers.

20200824_143319.jpg

20180921_113928.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It is Mother's day weekend... around these parts... it's the time to get your garden planted. Mainly due to about zero chance of frost. I hope to get my garden turned over and fenced... my dog and the local critter would ruin everything if I don't fence it in.

I got my new bag of Happy Frog tomato and vegetable fertilizer the other day. I've been using this stuff for years now and I'm a total believer. My yeilds have nearly doubled since I started. It's like a miricle in a bag. I use it as directed when planting and just one other time about halfway through the growing season. IMHO... it's a total game changer.

Amazon.com : FoxFarm Happy Frog Garden Tomato and Vegetable Soil Dry Plant Fertilizer Mix for Outdoor Organic Plant and Garden Care, 4 Pound Bag (FX14690) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Most seed packets and catalogs will recommend proper spacing of the plants. 3ft sounds excessive to me for pepper plants. But I too tend to overcrowd my garden. No closer than 1ft, though andaybe 18" - 24" between rows. If I was doing raised beds where I can reach everything from the outside, I would do 1 ft between paper plants.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Definitely overcrowded, I have spent 50% of the last 5 weeks out of town and shorted myself on the potting mix so 3rd bucket is empty still plan to move and separate, although probably still not enough room we shall see. I just wanted to get the stuff in the dirt so it wouldn't die anyhow. A few squash plants and pot 2 has tomatoes as well. Hoping to accomplish this weekend. The soaker hose I had 3 loops as well as 1 straight pass through each, each loop is about 2-3 inches raise from the next with the last loop and straight pass just below the surface that pic was just when I was setting up I oriented it as I filled with soil. All great advice as I am new as can be and will probably kill most of it. Long as I get some onion and jalapeños for starters I'll be happy :) It is amazing how well it drains with the sand below there is a solid 20-24" of sand in each and it drains right out.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
20220505_160543.jpg

I ended up with a garden in 5-gallon buckets this year. My girlfriend gave me a tomato plant in a pot that I moved to a 5-gallon bucket. Then I decided to get green, yellow and red bell pepper plants along with a cucumber plant. The white bucket that looks empty has potatoes in it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I'm a one plant per pail kinda guy.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I had mixed results growing in 5 gal buckets. I've seen people do it and it worked well... not sure what I did wrong. Even tried the hanging bucket with the plant growing out the bottom. I'm back to just planting in the ground. I don't see any drain holes in your buckets @Jim Oaks . I know you don't get as much rain there as we do up north but you still have to allow those buckets to drain.

I did pick up a dozen of the fabric pots this year... 3 gallon in size. I plan to grow herbs in several of them... and the wife has tried her hand at starting some seeds this year (what she planted is unknown to me) and she can use the rest. Really curious to see how these new pots work.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I ended up with a garden in 5-gallon buckets this year. My girlfriend gave me a tomato plant in a pot that I moved to a 5-gallon bucket. Then I decided to get green, yellow and red bell pepper plants along with a cucumber plant. The white bucket that looks empty has potatoes in it.
If it were me... I go get 2 or 3 blue pails from Lowes' and make it look like a flag....

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Back 10 years ago I was living in a trailer park, you couldnt plant directly in the ground, but they didnt care if you had a container (such as a 5 gal bucket) There was nothing stating size of “above ground container “. So— I took a old bedliner I had found in a ditch, made a endgate of wood & filled it with dirt. Worked great!

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I got the garden done today, then it rains- a lot. yard is flooded right up to the garden, The whole east yard is flooded. I could almost take the canoe out. Hope the water doesnt rise any more. This year I put down landscaping cloth and covered it all after planting with 15 bags of mulch. I can just visualize it floating away.
0B378844-DE77-45AC-9D25-371878CE3712.jpeg

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I got the garden done today, then it rains- a lot. yard is flooded right up to the garden, The whole east yard is flooded. I could almost take the canoe out. Hope the water doesnt rise any more. This year I put down landscaping cloth and covered it all after planting with 15 bags of mulch. I can just visualize it floating away.
View attachment 76710
That would be a nice fishin' spot if there were trout and bass.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm running behind on the garden...

I did get it worked up and worked in 4 bags of composted manure today and will finish tomorrow with 4 more bags.

I'm gonna have to fence it... my dog thinks I did all this for him to play in.

The money spent on this little tiller was well spent.

20220522_162801.jpg

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
CA is in a bad drought. the lakes here are at all time lows, its all over the news more than usual...and obvious if you are boater, there's no water at the boat launch. It never rains. Rainy days were replaced with windy days.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
CA is in a bad drought. the lakes here are at all time lows, its all over the news more than usual...and obvious if you are boater, there's no water at the boat launch. It never rains. Rainy days were replaced with windy days.
Ironically enough just the other day I was listening to a old song (1973) titled “It never rains in california “.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My wife wanted me to plant a rose the other day, so I started digging where I was told to with the spade. Hit steel. Weird like 45* angle iron parallel with the surface but very attached. So I worked to one end of it and found where it quit. Went the other way and after about a foot found the end there. One web was broken and it went straight down. Look around for clues as to what the heck this could be and note we are coming straight off the corner of our well. If it isn't the leg to a windmill it is probably some sort of a stake to tie down a windmill.

Great.

So I ease into removing this with the handyman jack. Did not work and I got it stuck in the ground too. Making great progress now...

So I start thinking about how to pull the jack out of the ground, the only tractor I have with 3pt at the moment is the WD with a heavy solid steel toolbar ripper thing. Kinda light in the front but it should at least get the jack out. It didn't flinch.

Ok we got it here, lets tie onto whatever this is and give it a tug too. Picked the front of the tractor up and there was a pop and that was the end of that.

So we scooted the rose a little over to the side...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals