• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Farm and Garden

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Even though we still have 15+ hours of daylight; the girls are starting to enter the pre-budding stage of their life cycle, indicated by the little hairs sprouting from the crotches of the fan/shade leaves.

This tells me I really only have a couple more weeks to feed the hell out of the plants with the vegetative nutrients, then ill need to ween them off of that and onto the budding nutes.

It's been so rainy here over the past two weeks or so that I havnt really been able to feed them as much as I, or they, would like. Sun=rapid growth for these things. With no sun and no nutes for two weeks these are at least a foot shorter than they should be.

I'm also going to need to, unfortunately, transfer the plants into bigger pots.. as Im starting to see roots through the drain holes I drilled in my buckets. The cannabis plant goes through what's called "the flowering stretch" as they start to bud, and will rapidly double in size. 5 gallons of dirt is barely enough for where they are now.. so it certainly won't be after they're 2x as tall.

After they recover from transplanting, ill pretty much need to immideately start the final pre-bud pruning. The final pruning will involve chopping every branch off the main stalk that won't reach at least 75% of the height of the main stalk, and chop pretty much every branch off of the main branches that's more than 3 or 4 nodes inward from the end. This allows more sun and air through the middle of the plant, which is good for bud production, and cuts down on the chances of developing bid rot.. AND it forces the plant to spend its energy creating all giant "tops" instead of splitting its energy between the tops and making a bunch of faffy popcorn buds that grow in the "middle" of the plant

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just made an appointment today for the local co-op to spray the japanese beetles with a helicopter as they are totally stripping the leaves off my soybeans and they are going to be blooming soon.

Yay, what a fun money making side gig I have going here... :annoyed:

And they won't even let a guy ride along either. :bawling:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I just made an appointment today for the local co-op to spray the japanese beetles with a helicopter as they are totally stripping the leaves off my soybeans and they are going to be blooming soon.

Yay, what a fun money making side gig I have going here... :annoyed:

And they won't even let a guy ride along either. :bawling:
that is just wrong....

AJ

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I ruined my garden this year. My fathers garden as well.

Last fall we got a pickup truck load of wood chips per garden (because we have clay-rich soil here that drains too quickly and turns very hard) and we tilled them in to the soil. MAJOR MISTAKE. It's either tied up all of the available nitrogen to decompose the chips, or there are a lot of tannins leeching from the wood chips that has stunted all growth. So there's about $100 down the shitter just on my garden alone.

Pole beans won't flower. Cantaloupe and watermelon vines are doing so-so but low on fruit production. Sweet corn was severely stunted and stayed around waist high or shorter. Tomato plants look like skinny weeds and are low on fruit production. Oddly enough, the pumpkin vines are doing very well but who really gives a damn about pumpkins?

I'm trying my hardest to salvage the tomato plants by introducing large amounts of various types of bone and blood meal, etc. along with liquid fertilizer. At this point, I'd just be happy with a small increase in fruit production from them..

I'll be spreading massive amounts of nitrogen this fall and plowing the gardens for the first time in years. We HOPE to have a little better growth next year, but we know this will likely last for years. Lesson learned though. ALWAYS COMPOST PLANT WASTE OF ANY KIND (FOR YEARS) BEFORE ADDING TO THE GARDEN.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
My garden is doing well, corn is tasseling and ears are appearing, the cherry tomatoes have been ripening, the larger tomatoes are there but still green. just picked the first batch of green beans yesterday, have had a few zucchini & cucumbers ready. Was worried for a while we would have another place and either have to abandon this garden or pay rent here while not living here so we could access the garden. Certainly not going to transplant a whole garden, moving is bad enough as it is. Weve had a lot of heat and rain lately. I mowed 3 days ago and it looks like it needs mowed again. And as a side note, whats up with grass growth? I would mow around the garden at the lowest setting and the next time the yard needed mowed the nearly scalped area was just as high as the rest of the yard.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This is the first year in many I didn't plant a garden. Having made a deal on selling our house about the time I should be planting... I decided to not even bother.

The yard at the new place is a mess... I have a tree service coming out Wednesday to remove three trees and grind four stumps. One of the trees is in the front yard... absolutely huge... grows about 15 feet off the front of the house. Roots are messing with the sewer lines... lots of huge limbs over the house and many widow makers. I hate to have it cut down but I really have no choice. Just the week before we closed it dropped a limb on the power line and the power company installed a new line and a new 100 amp service. The tree guy did agree to demo and haul off the existing wood 8 x 12 shed that is really beyond repair... and do a bit of ground leveling and site prep for the new shed while he has his skid steer in the back yard. So with the tree work... new shed... a couple raised garden beds... fence repair... and correcting the roof gutter down spout and drainage issues... and a bit of front yard landscaping... I'm gonna be about 10K investment. That alone pushing the total investment a touch above what this house will bring on the open market. Hopefully when we try to sell it in 4 years the home values increase. I have to be really careful spending much more on any other improvements or we will be bit over our heads.

I have 2 qts (of the 48 qts) of tomatoes I canned last season left. We also used the last pint of salsa with taco salad Friday night. It's gonna be a long year with none of my home grown canned stuff.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
View attachment 62811

Even though we still have 15+ hours of daylight; the girls are starting to enter the pre-budding stage of their life cycle, indicated by the little hairs sprouting from the crotches of the fan/shade leaves.

This tells me I really only have a couple more weeks to feed the hell out of the plants with the vegetative nutrients, then ill need to ween them off of that and onto the budding nutes.

It's been so rainy here over the past two weeks or so that I havnt really been able to feed them as much as I, or they, would like. Sun=rapid growth for these things. With no sun and no nutes for two weeks these are at least a foot shorter than they should be.

I'm also going to need to, unfortunately, transfer the plants into bigger pots.. as Im starting to see roots through the drain holes I drilled in my buckets. The cannabis plant goes through what's called "the flowering stretch" as they start to bud, and will rapidly double in size. 5 gallons of dirt is barely enough for where they are now.. so it certainly won't be after they're 2x as tall.

After they recover from transplanting, ill pretty much need to immideately start the final pre-bud pruning. The final pruning will involve chopping every branch off the main stalk that won't reach at least 75% of the height of the main stalk, and chop pretty much every branch off of the main branches that's more than 3 or 4 nodes inward from the end. This allows more sun and air through the middle of the plant, which is good for bud production, and cuts down on the chances of developing bid rot.. AND it forces the plant to spend its energy creating all giant "tops" instead of splitting its energy between the tops and making a bunch of faffy popcorn buds that grow in the "middle" of the plant
They could use a haircut, but otherwise beautiful. Look into those "burlap" planter sacks, they are huge and relatively cheap. I think smart pots its what they're called. I pinch and bend the very top to slow down stretch and encourage side shoots. If you do it right the pinched top will recover and continue flowering. I think its called "supercropping". You can also get the same effect by plucking out just the very top inner bud flower of the top branches.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I kinda think it would be cool to have a dedicated farm, home, and garden discussion section.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I kinda think it would be cool to have a dedicated farm, home, and garden discussion section.
It’s a RANGER website. We have a gardening/farming thread, what more do we need?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
We need ALL the different threads!

Threads about threads even, crochet.. needlepoint.. the whole meghilla. I will not back down on this.

#CraftSection2021

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We need ALL the different threads!

Threads about threads even, crochet.. needlepoint.. the whole meghilla. I will not back down on this.

#CraftSection2021
:ban:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
It’s a RANGER website. We have a gardening/farming thread, what more do we need?
A ranger with a 3-point attachment &ag-tread tires pulling a disc? 😂

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals