• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan question

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, looked forever on this and couldnt find a thing online lol. And im pretty sure i know the answer to this, buuuut....

Can you setup up 2 fans directly in push-pull, and get better airflow with the combination of the one fan pushing into the other fan, and that fan pushing it out (in theory) faster?

Lol I feel stupid asking this as im sure it would just make them work against eachother in some way. But im looking for more ways to send more air in towards my graphics card to cool that further. Basically the idea is that the fans would be attached together (like this: II)or one on each side of the case's side panel. I was thinking that maybe this would make it so the first fan would push the air into the second fan so the second fan pushes out the already moving air out faster.

Will this have any gain? Is there a good way to set this up to get even a slight increase? Or will it just end up the same airflow with wasted money on extra fans, or even make things worse from them working against eachother?

Lol this is all due to me running out of places to mount fans :icon_twisted:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
get an electric fan from a 90-95ish taurus 3.8 v6. strong oem electric fan. you'll only need one. it has a high and low... easy simple fix.

and i would think you would stack two push fans, to push air faster.. if you have one push and one pull, wouldn't they be working against each other? regardless- no need...

a lot of people are using those 3.8 electric fans. they are probably some of the best there is, without buying MAJOR name brand expensive stuff... lots of mustang guys, lots of jeep guys... and lots of guys that restore classics.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get an electric fan from a 90-95ish taurus 3.8 v6. strong oem electric fan. you'll only need one. it has a high and low... easy simple fix.

and i would think you would stack two push fans, to push air faster.. if you have one push and one pull, wouldn't they be working against each other? regardless- no need...

a lot of people are using those 3.8 electric fans. they are probably some of the best there is, without buying MAJOR name brand expensive stuff... lots of mustang guys, lots of jeep guys... and lots of guys that restore classics.
Lol ummm................. :icon_rofl:

It would be nice to be able to fit that big of a fan on my computer, however it is not exactly ideal... lol ...

And i mean setup like this: (Fan 1)-->(Fan 2)--> The first fan blows into the second fan, second fan blows into computer

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Stacking fans directly together like that won't work, and actually if I remember right will hurt flow. The fans that are pre-made in that configuration utilize fans that spin in opposite directions at slightly different RPM's.

If you want more air flow you'll need to buy higher CFM fans.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Lol ummm................. :icon_rofl:

It would be nice to be able to fit that big of a fan on my computer, however it is not exactly ideal... lol ...

And i mean setup like this: (Fan 1)-->(Fan 2)--> The first fan blows into the second fan, second fan blows into computer
sure you can! lol

oops... dang just hitting the new posts button and not looking what part of TRS i'm in.. lol. oh well...

for a computer- just water cool it, and add leds everywhere. :icon_twisted::thefinger:

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol ya i know to add higher CFM fans. I currently have my 140mm at about 60 CFM, which is low. I just ordered some 90 CFM ones that i found. Its just real hard to find high CFM fans that are also quiet enough for me. The computer sits right next to me and i havent been able to figure out how to controll the fans via software. lol Thanks

And ya i sort of figured that 4.0B2, I bet that was a weird question to be reading it as a ranger question :p

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You want more inflow than out flow. You want your case to become internally pressurized. This will keep the dust and dirt out of the case.

You also want the air to enter the case as low as possible and exit as high as possible. This will draw the air across the components that need cooling the most. This is why it is best to have a case with the power supply in the bottom with it drawing air from outside the case.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Positive vs negative pressure is always a big debate. While you do tend to get less dust it can also create hot spots of dead air that hinder cooling. I don't get very much dust in my case and it has negative pressure but all the intakes are filtered as well. If your going for the best temps it's always good to see what gives your setup the best as everyone is different.

To the OP you shouldn't need tons of airflow to keep this cool. The most importand thing is making sure the flow through the case is good which the side fans can actually hinder. My temps are better with the side sealed than when I had side fans. Also my system is is overclocked and overvolted yet stays fairly cool without tons of airflow. I do have 4 88 CFM fans total (one intake one exhaust and 2 on the heatsink) as well as 3 50-60ish fans (2 exhaust 1 intake) but they run at 7v on a fan controller unless I'm stress testing or benchmarking when I run the full out.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, i heard positive pressure wasnt the greatest because of hotspots. Mine currently is positive because with the H50 radiator its better to setup as intake to get the cooler air, so my rear top fan isnt exhaust anymore. Right now i have a 120mm intake on the front along with (2) 120mm fans attached to the radiator on the rear, and (4) 140mm fans with 2 intake on the side and 2 exhausting out the top.

The 140mm fans are 60CFM currently, and the 120mm ones are 69 i think. I want to get more powerful 140mm fans for that added cooling, but fast and still quiet 140mm fans are slim pickings. I ran across some LED ones that run about 90 CFM so i will be getting those. This question was just a general wondering about if it would add any increase, especially now that i have extra fans lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals