• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fan clutch

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
what holds the fan clutch on a 2.9? i have the bolts out of the pulley. thought that held the clutch but it doesn't. saving it is not important; i am yanking a 79 motor to save for rebuilding for my 88. bought the truck just to get the later heads

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Its threaded to the water pump shaft with the big goofy nut. There are special tools to remove it.

2007-10-28_013300_1.gif

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its threaded to the water pump shaft with the big goofy nut. There are special tools to remove it.

View attachment 38519
Since when are hammer and chisel special tools?

Also, the 2.9 fan clutch uses left-handed threads, so turning it to the left will tighten it, turning to the right will loosen.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I originally posted you could use an air chisel but edited my post because if you've never done it before you can destroy the water pump doing it that way... was trying to give the "safe" method. You can rent the wrench/pulley holder at advance or autozone for free.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
looking at the diagram, it looks like i will need to put the bolts back in the pulley to use that tool. will try to get a loaner from one of the local parts stores, use it and duplicate it (the square hole for the 1/2 inch drive will be the hardest part) and return it

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes, pulley needs to be reattached. You hold the pulley with one tool and turn the nut with the other. Like adsm said, reverse thread. I "think" its 36mm for the nut? But im not a 2.9 guy...

The other method, you still reattach the pulley, put the belt on as tight as you can, and then use an air hammer or a hammer and chisel and litteraly just wack at the edge of the nut to break it loose. I have broken a water pump shaft doing it this way though but eh... and if your gonna replace the water pump anyway. Go for it.

@adsm08 is a waaaay better mechanic than me though so id take any advice he gives before mine lol.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, pulley needs to be reattached. You hold the pulley with one tool and turn the nut with the other. Like adsm said, reverse thread. I "think" its 36mm for the nut? But im not a 2.9 guy...

The other method, you still reattach the pulley, put the belt on as tight as you can, and then use an air hammer or a hammer and chisel and litteraly just wack at the edge of the nut to break it loose. I have broken a water pump shaft doing it this way though but eh... and if your gonna replace the water pump anyway. Go for it.

@adsm08 is a waaaay better mechanic than me though so id take any advice he gives before mine lol.
Well he said the engine is only needed for the heads.

Honestly the last few times I had to remove a 2.9 fan clutch it was so hopelessly stuck I pulled the radiator out and removed the fan, clutch, and water pump as an assembly.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think I first tried the hammer method on a 300 inline. This was before YouTube so it was an old trick I heard some old timer tell me. I guess i hit the nut too far into the center and ended up bending the shaft of the water pump which was perfectly fine before I got to it. I ate the cost of a new water pump (like 25 bucks).

Ive since done the hammer method successfully many times. But i dunno, I try not to give the "secret quick tricks" when they have a risk vs just using proper tools. Id hate for someone to learn something on here from me or anyone and mess up their truck. I have tons of easy methods of doing things id never recommend. Im sure you have got where you are through some tough trial and error. Sometimes that "simple" method seems easy now but took some practice. There's a TON of stuff I do simple and quick with great results but I've done a million times so im an expert at doing it "wrong".

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I first tried the hammer method on a 300 inline. This was before YouTube so it was an old trick I heard some old timer tell me. I guess i hit the nut too far into the center and ended up bending the shaft of the water pump which was perfectly fine before I got to it. I ate the cost of a new water pump (like 25 bucks).

Ive since done the hammer method successfully many times. But i dunno, I try not to give the "secret quick tricks" when they have a risk vs just using proper tools. Id hate for someone to learn something on here from me or anyone and mess up their truck. I have tons of easy methods of doing things id never recommend. Im sure you have got where you are through some tough trial and error. Sometimes that "simple" method seems easy now but took some practice. There's a TON of stuff I do simple and quick with great results but I've done a million times so im an expert at doing it "wrong".
Yup.

For example, I can take the trans out of a Focus, Fusion, or 2wd Escape without removing the axle shafts from the bearings. But it took a few torn axle seals to get it right.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've just used a small pipe wrench or a Ford Wrench in the past with success but that was only a couple of times and I may had just been lucky.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you can find a wrench (usually adjustable or the pipe wrench above) to fit the nut, you can find a flat piece of metal and drill a hole in one end that a pulley bolt will fit through. Undo one of the pulley bolts and bolt this flat piece of metal to the pulley and then let it swivel around till it hits something and stops, and then use the wrench you found to loosen the nut. Usually you have to hit the wrench with a hammer to break it loose. And after all that, if it's left hand thread don't forget to go the wrong way. I have spent 20 minutes trying to get a fan back on only to realize I was turning it the correct way, you have to turn it backwards with a lefthand thread. What a dummy.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The hammer/chisel method works but when you can rent the correct tool, why would you risk damaging the water pump? Speaking from experience, fan clutches are also quite a bit harder to remove once you've got that nut all buggered up with a chisel too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
When I did the fan clutch in my Bronco 2, if I recall I used a crescent wrench with a cheater pipe on it, let it rest on the frame, and pulled the coil wire off and hit the starter for a second...came loose really easily that way. Just make sure you put the wrench handle/cheater pipe on the right side, otherwise you'll just tighten the nut up more. Yep left handed thread so it unscrews to the right instead, confuses the crap out of a lot of people though LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals