• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan clutch removal

DCarey515

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I needed the water pump replaced on my truck, 1994 ford ranger splash 4.0, I cant seem to break the nut loose holding the clutch on. I know its left handed threads but just to make sure Im doing this right, standing in front of the engine I need to turn this nut to the right, correct?
Ive tried the nut removal tool, it bent making a nice little rounded off edge on my nut. :temper: I cant seem to get a crescent wrench, or any other wrench down in there just not enough clearance. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get the danged ol nut off?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
D. Carey

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to turn the clutch nut to the left if you are standing in front of the engine. If you turn it to the right, that is right handed threads.

DCarey515

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well dont i feel like a ding-ding. If every other nut, bolt Im taking off is turning to the left, and Im told the threads on this thing are reversed, I try to turn it to the right, no wonder my tool broke, grrrrrrrr.
OK well I reckon I go get a new one and try it again.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remember, when looking at a bolt it is Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Remember, when looking at a bolt it is Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.
Unless of course, it is Reverse thread, then it's Righty Loosey, Lefty Tightey :D

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know so much bout left and right...But clockwise is the correct turning for a "left handed" nut.. Anti clockwise is regular.
Big Jim

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If I remember corectly the motors that have regular v-belts have clutch fans with left hand threads as they are driven from the inside of the belt and consequently turn the same way as the motor. The motors with multi-v or serpentine belts have right hand or normal threads as they are driven by the outside of the belt and turn in the opposite direction to the motor. It's usually marked on the top of the fan shroud. If it is actually left hand thread it needs to turn clockwise to remove, as viewed from the fromt of the truck. I usually use a pipe wrench.

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Remove waterpump from engine with fan attached and put pulley in vise. Protect it with some wood slabs and only tighten it enough to hold it securely - you don't want to crush it to an egg shape. Use the wrench and a hammer to shock the fan loose.

DCarey515

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got the danged thing off. The haynes manual said it was reverse threads so I did what any idiot would do, I turned opposite direction to take off, nope, uh uh, no way, WRONG. I took the pump off with the fan clutch attached, not enough room in between the bolts that hold the pulley on and the fan to get anything that doesnt belong down in there. Took the bolts off, slid a pipe wrench in there and held the fin off the pump with a big ass pipe wrench, twisted the fin right off. Ended up putting two bolts back in pulley to hold it, slid in crescent wrench and used my big ass pipe wrench to hold pulley and off she came, to the left, not the right as the book suggested.
Thanks for everyones input.

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
The last one I did, I took the pump/clutch/fan out in one piece. Then welded the impeller to the housing before using a large vise and the "spanner" with a length of pipe to break it free.

94rangerdanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
easiest way i coud do it was a solid steel rod pointed at one end and flat on the other and a big hammer, took the pointed end a hammered a dimple in the nut, then went on an angle and hammered the nut in the left direction and it came off first try every time that ive tried it

fishbone1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
clutch fan removal

I replaced the clutch fan on my 92 4.0 tonight. After getting severely frustrated and wasting nearly 2 hours I came to the forum. The long steel rod worked perfectly. I really had to hit it, but it came loose. I found rusted indentions where someone had tried it once before.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Water pump

The first time I replaced my water pump I had pretty much the same experience. After getting it off, I sat the new pump up on the radiator before I put it in place. At that point I noticed an arrow formed in the plastic of the fan shroud that says, "Fan removal direction" or words to that effect. :bawling:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just put a blunt tipped chisel on my air hammer, rattles on the nut for 3 seconds while holding the pulley and off it came.....GOD BLESS AIRTOOLS!!!

dark_flame221

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I just put a blunt tipped chisel on my air hammer, rattles on the nut for 3 seconds while holding the pulley and off it came.....GOD BLESS AIRTOOLS!!!
easiest way i coud do it was a solid steel rod pointed at one end and flat on the other and a big hammer, took the pointed end a hammered a dimple in the nut, then went on an angle and hammered the nut in the left direction and it came off first try every time that ive tried it
i don't know if it is my brain that don't want to turn on, but how do you twist of a bolt with a long steel road or air chisel ??? :sad: i feel really stupid right now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals