• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan Clutch Removal 4.0L

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I've had to search three Ford/Ranger related forums on this subject and found much misleading information, some completely wrong, other suggestions merely misguided (IMHO). My 1999 Ranger with 4.0 has the following molded into the plastic of the fan shroud. "4.0L-RH THREAD ON FAN CLUTCH". That bit of information is critical but not enough. I read suggestions that said RH Thread means loosen it by turning fan clutch nut CLOCKWISE. Not so. Clockwise is how you turn it when putting it back on the water pump.

Several people suggested variations on air hammer and air chisel applied to the clutch fan nut. It may work but unless one is planning to replace the clutch with a new one (or an electric one) I wouldn't take the chance on damaging the nut with air tools.

I rented the clutch fan removal tool kit from AutoZone. It took me two tries as the first kit I was handed had obviously been used the wrong way previously. The 36mm spanner that is applied to the clutch fan nut was spread out to 39mm. When I went back and compared it to a new set, the 3mm difference was obvious.

It took a little fiddling but once I figure out how to hold the large (58mm) squarish wrench in place I put the 36mm spanned in a position that allowed me to hit it firmly with a dead blow hammer. Impact without less danger to the clutch fan nut.

I had been completely unsuccessful in loosening the nut by my mighty arms, but a couple of well struck blows with the dead blow hammer and voilà. Now it's on to the rest of the project. water pump, timing chain and chain guides, head gaskets, etc.:icon_bounceblue:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, my '94 4.0l fan clutch is the "normal" lefty loosy, righty tighty :)

In general if you start the engine then shut it off and look at the fan blade which ever way it is spinning is the direction to loosen it.

Threads are done that way so a loose nut would tend to tighten itself from torque vs loosen itself, so watch the blade and you will never be in doubt :)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, I use the air chisel on the corners of the nuts all the time, and unless I am going the wrong way I have yet to do significant damage to one. You just have to not be a moron about it.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Dead-blow hammers are very handy but the heavy rubber mallet provides greater shock with less risk of collateral damage.

firenexx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Back when I did this, I had to replace the water pump and the fan clutch. The nut was insanely tight and I didn't have an air chisel.
So I took off the entire water pump, pulley, clutch, fan assembly.
I got a really wide grinding wheel (a bunch of them, actually) and spent about 2 hours cutting the pump off so then I could take the fan off of the clutch (the only part I needed to re-use.)

:facepalm:

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had trouble replacing my water pump also. However, I was able to take the water pump off with the fan still attached and I used the bench to hold it in place while I took it apart.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
fan clutch tool? basically need to make 2 pieces of flat bar with a notch to hook on the nuts and just hold them while you spin the fan off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals