• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Family Heirloom

YungCholesterol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
ANA (Alert Not Anxious)
Hey all!

Fairly new to forums in general but recently inherited my late father Ron's '88 Ranger XLT and am planning to put some work into her over the coming months as finances allow.

She's got a leaky 2.9 / auto and not much has been done on her save for spark plugs and oil changes. Was Grandpa Howard's grocery getter bought new and probably sat for 5 years in between the 80k he put on her and the 99k currently on the Odo.

I like the sound (literally + figuratively) of an SN95 5.0 swap but I am both untrained/inequipped for welding or fab so I welcome any insight or tips on powertrain swaps and potential snares. My goal is just to honor the memory of Howard and Ron in restoring and upgrading the family truck, and I'm open to ideas!

Peace and blessings 🙌
PSX_20220411_100706.jpg

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Looks like a nice clean 1988 Ranger
Transmission is an A4LD just FYI

A 1996-2001 Explorer V8 swap doesn't require welding or fabrication, but alot of wrench work

1990-1994 4.0l swap is much less work and you can use current transmission as is
2.9l and 4.0l used the same block

But I would just keep it stock, if you do pull the heads replace with the 1989-1992 version, the 1986-1988 tended to fail
Requires different valve covers

The 2.9l lifters were fed oil thru the inside cam bearings so as the cam bearing aged, bigger gaps, the oil pressure to the lifters/rockers went down so they tended to "tick", doesn't hurt anything at all just annoying, lol

A4LD was used thru 2011 as a 4R and then 5R version in Rangers, so a good reliable automatic, but it IS an automatic, so when there is an issue it tends to be a BOAT(bust out another thousand), lol
So check fliuds and change filter when it needs it, or just before it needs it(crystal ball is handy :))

YungCholesterol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
ANA (Alert Not Anxious)

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Sharp looking truck. Welcome to the site.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
First, welcome to the site. Second, about the only time a 2.9 and A4LD don’t leak is when there’s no oil/fluid in them, lol. Comes with the territory (there are ways to remedy this). Properly cared for, it will do well.

So, there’s many ways to go about this…

Lot of it depends on how involved you want to get or your skill level. Or your willingness to improve your skill set and/or your budget. I’ve gone multiple different ways with my trucks. My 88 I’m keeping the 2.9 and auto, but doing upgrades to engine, transmission and the overall truck. Keeping it stock-ish, I’m calling it a resto-mod. My 89 I lifted (5” suspension and 2” body, 35” tires, etc) and did the 4.0 OHV swap. My one 2000 is getting the Explorer 5.0/auto/AWD swap and being built sleeper-ish. My 92 that got wrecked I was just tweaking a little, did some transmission stuff and was trying to decide how involved I wanted to go with it, but I was enjoying what the transmission work did for me. That was basically a shift kit (Transgo) and a few valve body mods (I would highly recommend going through the trouble with the A4LD, made a huge difference and it’s more an exercise in patience and cleanliness than anything).

So really you need to decide exactly what you want out of the truck, or at least a general direction. Do you want to keep it as original as possible? Do a resto-mod where you upgrade things but keep it as close to stock as possible? Do you want it lifted? lowered? Go fast or just cruise? Budget friendly or pull all the stops? Something you’re willing to take time to build or something you want done right away? All of that and more plays in to deciding what to do. Most of my projects I spent a couple years collecting parts. Most of them I did a few things early on to get it moving in the right direction and then spent time collecting what I needed and enjoying the truck as-is at the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals