• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Family Heirloom: The chronicles of Sarah's Ranger

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
What Sarah did made plenty of sense. When she learned that her Grand mom's truck had a rusted out frame, she felt obligated to take the thing apart and address the problem. Having moved to Arizona, she found a decent donor and proceeded to do a complete frame off. Yes, she rattle can painted the engine, but so what? I did the very same. It lasted for another 17 years with no real issues. I'm sure hers will do quite well in Arizona climes.

Her efforts do raise another question. it worth the time to restore an old Ranger in the first place? Most of course, would say no and just let them rust to death. Junkyards tell that very same story. They are full of them.

Personally speaking, I found that it took about $20,000 to restore mine. I've got the time and the money. And if my 20 year old engine seizes up, so what? I can always buy something in a crate for just a few more thou. That's still a lot cheaper than buying a brand new truck at today's prices.

Sarah runs a YouTube site. She works on cars. That's all she does. I rather like to see a Ranger get taken apart and put back together again. I'm sure I'm just one of many thousand Ranger owners who enjoy watching. Maybe our reasons are practical. maybe they are sentimental too. Choosing a ranger served her well. No doubt it was a real cash cow.

Thanks, buddy, for posting these links.. I want to know what she does with it in the end. Will she drive it every day or take it to car shows, or just park it in her garage?

Last edited:

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I want to know what she does with it in the end. Will she drive it every day or take it to car shows, or just park it in her garage?

That is the big question. I'm hoping it becomes a part time daily like her Subaru and does all the part hauling chores.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sarah does the meticulous stuff in the first part of the finale.

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Thats fine but if you are going to call something restored, you have to restore it.

I haven't actually watched the series but if she just puff canned a used motor... it is just a puff canned used motor. Tune in next month when the rear main starts seeping.
I actually watched the series. No she didn't crack into the bottom end of the motor. However it's an original 4.0 with no issues, has less than 100,000 miles, and drove successfully across country within the past year. Even so, she did replace the main seals, timing cover gaskets, water pump, all before painting it.

It's still a frame-off restoration.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I actually watched the series. No she didn't crack into the bottom end of the motor. However it's an original 4.0 with no issues, has less than 100,000 miles, and drove successfully across country within the past year. Even so, she did replace the main seals, timing cover gaskets, water pump, all before painting it.

It's still a frame-off restoration.
If I remember correctly she replaced the fuel injectors too. I know it's not exactly engine work, but it shows attention to detail.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sarah finishes up the restoration with paint correction, ceramic coating, and trim polishing.

What I really learned is how long all this takes. I am so impressed with everyone that decides to do any sort of restoration, modding, or deep detailing. The amount of time and effort invested is insane and you guys are doing it while having to go to work!

Hat's off to all of you and hats off to Sarah for giving us a concours quality Ranger.

(I am looking forward to her "review" of it later on.)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks a lot for sharing Sarah's adventures with us. It was fun to watch and I learned a lot.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You're welcome.

I just want to get as many Ranger fans over here as possible.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’m sure that truck would turn all our heads if we saw it out on the road, Sarah did a great job 👍

-Jazzer

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
A sweet truck and a real inspiration to those of us who wish to keep our Rangers, not only running, but also looking new.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
A sweet truck and a real inspiration to those of us who wish to keep our Rangers, not only running, but also looking new. The story of Sarah's restoration was highly informative. The big take away, however, is the story of her grandmom. She took great care of that Ranger and passed it on as a family heirloom.

I get it. I'm a grandfather. A Ford Ranger is no exotic, but it doesn't need to be. It's the family fun and memories that last. Rangers are rugged and four square, something everyone could use. A sound rust busting restoration assures another 20 years of life on the road, a perfect gift for my grandson some day.

I'm restoring mine step by step, taking on a new project every summer. The day is sure to come when my 2003 will be like new. It will be an antique by then, maybe even a classic. most importantly my grandson will inherit something nice and not a bucket of bolts..

Last edited:

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I thought the series was finished but looks like there's more.

Sarah tries to fix the Ranger from randomly running rich.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fine tuning the new computer and Mega Squirt. (I really need to learn about this since I first heard about it here at TRS.)

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
New rims for the Ranger!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Megasquirt is awesome. I wish i could have figured out the programming 15-18 years ago when i built one. It could have been awesome.

I think you can buy them built now so it should be really easy now because there is no wondering if you did something wrong now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals