• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Falls on its face

Lbagley7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
So I'm new to the ranger game, but I have a lot of experience with fords. Long story short the guy I bought the truck from put a k&n cold air intake in and it was for the 2.3 Lima. So I was getting an IAT sensor failure. I just replaced my mass airflow sensor with the correct one and now I have no codes, but as soon as I shift into second it just bogs and falls on its face. Anybody have any ideas? Fuel injectors maybe?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you reset the computer after changing the MAF sensor? I would disconnect the battery cables, touch them together for a brief second and then leave the battery disconnected for 10 minutes and then put the cables back on. That will clear the memory for the air/fuel ratio or whatever the terminology is for this reset. If that doesn't work then check for codes and check back.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Also check that there is no random air tubes on the aftermarket intake tube. The fresh air side of the pcv system should be on the intake tube. Make sure its not just open. Ive seen this happen more than once. People will just plug it and stick a breather on the valve cover or not connect it at all and this creates a massive vacuum leak.

And when your done go to the junkyard and get the factory intake and airbox... aftermarket "cold air intakes" are the biggest piles of crap ever invented. The factory setup was a true cold air system that flows more air than the engine can ever use. All aftermarket systems do us run hotter air and screw with the maf sensor at best. Worst case they leak and cause unmmetered air to the engine. There is NO benefit to a aftermarket cold sir intake AT ALL!

Lbagley7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I never thought about resetting it that's a good idea. I'll try that.

I checked for vacuum leaks by spraying starting fluid along the intake. No spike so I don't think there's a leak. And I know I hate the cold air intake except for the mean little growl it gives the 4 banger

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You have a dohc duratec right? The limas were phased out in 2001-2002 so not sure which engine you have...

Lbagley7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I've got the 2.3l dohc. So I did what you guys said. And its running, I might have a bit more power but it feels lacking. Also i can rev it up in neutral but if I'm in gear and i get on it, it seems like i hit the limiter at about 3400. Any ideas?

Lbagley7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Could it be in limp mode? Also my cheap obd2 scanner says my timing is off by about 10 degrees so could my timing belt have slipped? I'm starting to get scared about this investment.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's not a very peppy engine to begin with so hard to judge over the internet. When's the last time it had a legit tune up and fuel filter? The duratec doesn't have a timing belt.

What do you mean your scanner says timing is off 10 degrees? Is it a code or are you looking at live data? The ignition timing is constantly adjusted by the computer and can drift around anywhere from zero to 30+ degrees.

Lbagley7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
So update since last night. It's throwing a code again saying intake air temperature circuit high bank 1. I was told that the intake air temperature sensor was built into the maf. I drove it around for probably 25 minutes with no codes

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The iat and maf were integrated at some point but they were seperate sensors in earlier trucks. How many wires are on your maf sensor?

Can you take a pic of the intake so i can see what your working with

Last edited:

Lbagley7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
It wont let me post any pictures, says the file is too big for the server.

Update on everything now. After reinstalling the mass airflow sensor and trying to clear its memory again. Started off idling fine with no codes. Very quickly into my test drive it went south. First gear pulls well, second its starts to buck and it feels like it's not getting enough fuel. At idle or with the clutch in it revs fine.

Now I have a new code, P0171 system too lean bank 1.

I checked again for vacuum leaks with brake cleaner and nothing around the intake, vacuum hoses, or even the brake booster. I have yet to check the fuel pressure, but climbing under the truck it does have newer lines and a newer fuel filter.

Sorry in advance for the book here. Haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals