• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fake Motorcraft parts?!? or legit??

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey folks,

From my previous thread and intro, you know I ordered some parts recently to start some maintenance on the truck.

The part I was worried the most about is the Camshaft Synchronizer, as it is the single most expensive part.

I ordered the Motorcraft DA2089 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-DA2089-Engine-Camshaft-Synchronizer/dp/B000EQAVJA

I received the part in a bag, stuffed in a non-padded FedEx thin cardboard envelope. This is the same envelope that I believe is normally used to send documents.

I was expecting a box as some of the youtube videos I had seen show the part in the box...

I watched the "how to spot fake motorcraft parts" video from Ford Tech Maku and the only thing I checked for was the holes at the bottom and there are definitely two clearly punched holes. The wording printed on some of the bag is a little worn, but I'm not sure if that means anything. Also, a part number is printed on a sticker that is easily removed. And the part I have come across is F8DZ-12A362-AA, not the F8DU-12A362-AA that is on the sticker. Not sure if that matters as searching both on google brings up pics of synchronizers.

If any of you have a good eye for this stuff, take a look and let me know what you think. I don't believe I will have any issues returning it to amazon, and I have yet to take it out of the bag.

Pic of Spark Plug wire set from Advance (left) next to bag with Synchronizer (right)

Close up of print on bag (slightly faded)

Pic clearly showing two punched holes at bottom of bag

Hard to read, but stamped on top is "F58E-12131-AB". Above that, on the notch above the circle is a "28".
The sticker shows F8DU-12A362-AA. I thought it was weird for a sticker to be on a part like that so i gave it a quick swipe with my finger and confirmed the sticker will come off with little force if need be.

Not sure what other pics ya'll need, but I have it ready if need be, so just let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The cast in number is a Ford engineering number. That’s probably the part number for the bare housing.
It looks like a typical Motorcraft part to me.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since the wires were from Advance, they should be legit. Everything you are listing for the synchorizer and the package markings leaks me to think it's legit too. It's more of a worry if you are ordering off ebay or Amazon than at a parts store, even if they do tend to sell cheap Chinese junk, it's legit cheap Chinese junk.

nobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just bought one of these and I was also concerned it being a fake. But my packaging and part looks the exact same, so I guess it's ok?

I had originally went with a Spectra Premium FD32 and was surprised that it actually felt higher quality than the Motorcraft. Body and metallurgy felt "smoother" and better machined, shaft seemed to feel tighter too. But alas it did not seem to want to go in properly, so I ordered the Motorcraft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals