• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fairly sure I ruined new cam

frey35423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So yesterday at pull a part I was in search of a 94 or earlier cam to swap into my 95. I found one and to my dismay also found out that it was a slide in rather then bolt in cam:bawling:. So I had to on the spot figure out how to remove it and in the process I think I nicked one of the bearing surfaces on the cam..

So with that is the cam a paper weight? Or perhaps a possible lamp...?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pics please.

frey35423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

So it's a dent so to speak and it's only raised a tiny amount around the edges of the "dent"

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it doesn't look too bad just use a file or just some sandpaper on it and i think it will be fine. just finish it with some really fine sandpaper and try to contain your sanding/filing to the damaged area.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
a very fine file would be best, and mark it as little as possible, polish with some fine steel wool and oil and it should be good.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Why would you change cams?They both have the same lift and duration and the newer cam is a little lighter.

frey35423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If anyone is questioning my reasons please refer to http://www.hotrodhigh.ca/2300Cams.html because this is where I got the idea and let me go ahead and say that this swap requires a good bit of work I had to unbolt my motor and trans and jack the motor up about 5 inches... Then someone had to pull down on the tail shaft of the trans so that I could get enough angle to pull the cam out. Also if your not familiar with the follower set up, I found it fairly easy to use two pry bars to remove them by using one as a leverage point and the other to push the follower off the valve. Push the follower off from the spring side and the pull it under the cam and over the lifter. You can reverse this process to put them back in. I would like to do a full write up on this so that I can put it in the tech section since I can find nowhere online that explains how to remove and install these followers. If that's possible please let me know where to post or who to talk to about it!

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Someone please correct me if i am wrong, but i read elswhere that the roller followers from the small valve heads is not what gives the valves more lift, but it is the placement of the lifters that changed the "rocker ratio". Basically the distance between the centerline of the cam and the center of the lifter bore changes slightly. Like i said please correct me if i am wrong

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals