• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Factory Tow Package features and specifications

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4 x 4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
My credo
Life is just a long string of stories.
Sweet that does thanks! No part number stamped on the hitch? Any photo of the connector (that black square on the 2nd pic appears to be it, but that's a cover?)? Also, nothing inside of the cab interior that's stock related is there?
Nothing in the cab that I'm aware of. My brother had a trailer brake added when he bought a job site trailer.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Nothing in the cab that I'm aware of. My brother had a trailer brake added when he bought a job site trailer.
View attachment 35480
Thanks for all the pics!

@Josh B Does your connector match the pic posted above? When i bought my truck it had a metal connector, but i wasn't sure if it was factory or aftermarket, so i naively junked it since it was rusted anyway.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 7 pin connector connector in the picture is 100% aftermarket; if it was OEM, it would have Henry's surname molded into it.

I have a number of the EVTM (electrical, vacuum troubleshooting manual) and Ford never ran more than 4 wires to the rear of Ranger for trailer wiring.

Now, the good Ford trailer hitch comes with a steel clip that the 4 pin flat connector slides into. But it wasn't made of any too thick steel, finish wasn't best (just cheap paint, no anti corrosion treatment) and location is bad for rust.

My "cheat" was to grab the 7 pin connector and wiring from an F-150 and splice into Ranger wiring appropriately. But I was only looking for power for my camper, as my trailer has surge brakes.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
The 7 pin connector connector in the picture is 100% aftermarket; if it was OEM, it would have Henry's surname molded into it.

I have a number of the EVTM (electrical, vacuum troubleshooting manual) and Ford never ran more than 4 wires to the rear of Ranger for trailer wiring.

Now, the good Ford trailer hitch comes with a steel clip that the 4 pin flat connector slides into. But it wasn't made of any too thick steel, finish wasn't best (just cheap paint, no anti corrosion treatment) and location is bad for rust.

My "cheat" was to grab the 7 pin connector and wiring from an F-150 and splice into Ranger wiring appropriately. But I was only looking for power for my camper, as my trailer has surge brakes.
I ended up finding an aftermarket class III hitch and 4-wire connector assembly off a 1995 ranger at the junkyard. it's adequate for my needs as i don't expect to tow anything greater than 1500 pounds.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My brother ordered his 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4 X 4 new from a dealer. It has the 4.0L, auto, tow package, 3.73 LSD, hitch, tow points etc. and is still showroom stock.
Does anyone know if the tow package added a leaf spring or increased the lift somehow?
Thanks.
No, the tow package at the time was only the hitch. The payload package was a separate option. In later years, like maybe 2008-up, there was the optional BFT Package (Built Ford Tough) that included the hitch and payload package together. To my knowledge all Rangers from 98-up included a 4-pin plug for trailer lights whether they had the tow package or not. My 99 did not have the tow package and my 02 did have the tow package and both had a trailer wiring plug.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals