• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

factory tach to msd 6al

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger im currently putting a carburated 302 motor in with the msd 6al ignition control module and it has a lead marked tach signal, but how can i hook this up to make my factory tach work with the v8?

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bump................

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
figured out from msd that i need to buy their tach adapter to make the tach work just need to figure out which wire is for the tach signal on the factory tach i took all the fuel injection wires out of the connectors under the hood so i could clean up the engine bay so it was probably one of those but now i dont know which one....?????????????

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
My best guess is you are looking for a tan/Y wire, coming from the dash, that is for the tach. This is the color of the wire from your engine bay/ECU that you have likely cut off. I do not have an EVTM for your year, but I referred to diagrams at Autozone.com. (It's also T/Y in 1997, which I DO have an EVTM for ...)

I'm not sure what style connectors a '94 has, as all '95 and later Rangers have a big square 42 connector from engine bay to inside the cab.
So , just look in whatever connectors your year has.

Your tach will likely need to be recalibrated, as well. According to my info (I'm sure there's info on this site, I was viewing RPS) there are (2?) set screws on the back of your tach module to claibrate it. This will require hooking up a known tach to verify your reading, but it apparently works well.

Hope that helps.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
figured out from msd that i need to buy their tach adapter to make the tach work just need to figure out which wire is for the tach signal on the factory tach i took all the fuel injection wires out of the connectors under the hood so i could clean up the engine bay so it was probably one of those but now i dont know which one....?????????????
You DO NOT need the tach adapter! Pull out your gauge cluster and there is a pin on the back of the tach that say "8CYL" . Splice into that wire and run it to the tach output on the side of the MSD 6AL box. Done.

Also be very aware of what you are cutting/deleting under the hood or you will put yourself in a big mess in a hurry. As I've said before.... 93s and 94s are bastard children when it comes to the wiring.

Last edited:

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You DO NOT need the tach adapter! Pull out your gauge cluster and there is a pin on the back of the tach that say "8CYL" . Splice into that wire and run it to the tach output on the side of the MSD 6AL box. Done.

Also be very aware of what you are cutting/deleting under the hood or you will put yourself in a big mess in a hurry. As I've said before.... 93s and 94s are bastard children when it comes to the wiring.
ok thanks that sounds pretty easy, but i think i need to get an evtm for a 94 cuz i messed up and already took all the a/c plugs back to two 10 or 12 pin connectors and pulled the pins and wires out then i realized that the a/c system has a plug on the line between the condenser and the compressor..............ooops............

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does anyone have a diagram for the 42 pin plug on the firewall this is probably all i need to figure out what i took out that i still need to get the a/c to work

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
The AC should be fairly easy to figure out. Hopefully I can get to the shop this weekend (we've had a hella amount of snow) and check into that for ya.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bump...................

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i use to haave wat you need but my computer broke so no more... usually any shop will print you out stuff that you need

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
I've got an EVTM for a 95. I'll check into it later and see if it still has that hub. They are all very similar.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bump.............

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bump...............

dagoof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Is this true for a 90 ranger as well?

Maybe I didn't need to add that after market tack.......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals