• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Factory stereo dash opening too large for Single-DIN cage/sleeve

beeheadted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab XLT
Transmission
Manual
1994 RangerXLT Supercab
New to the forum and community this is my first post. I’ve got kind of an obscure question hoping someone could shed some light on.

The articles on this forum informed me 1993 & 94 came with shaft style receivers. Leaning towards that having something to do with my problem, were the shaft style receivers slightly larger than a single DIN unit?

Either way I just got this truck and it had an aftermarket single DIN unit in it so i’m not sure what came factory.
But I noticed the cage peaking out the dash trim so I removed it to get a better look. Lo and behold the cage is only sitting in the dash trim and not behind the dash trim inside the original stereo space.
So this means the stereo hole in the trim on the dash (the trim housing the air vents) is large enough to slide a single DIN cage through it (2in by 7in).
The stereo hole behind that trim with the railing the original stereo attached to is even slightly larger. This was the hole the cage is just floating in as it’s only secured by being pushed through the dash trim from the outside. (probably 2.5in by 7.5in)

Now the cage is flush with the dash trim stereo hole as it’s perfectly single DIN sized, so my question is this.
Is there some sort of adapter im missing for these 2 years of trucks that will fit inside that original hole behind the dash with the railing that lines up with the whole in the dash trim for a more secure secure smaller single DIN?
Or should I just push the single DIN straight through the dash trim from the outside and call it a day? Thanks for reading.
I can attach pictures tomorrow if it helps.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
94 has a single DIN opening. I just put the 3rd aftermarket single DIN unit in my 93. The cage is attached to the bezel. Works great. I’ll try to remember to get a picture this afternoon.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is the type of radio that came in late 80's to mid 90's Fords
May or may not have cassette

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In 95 when they updated the interior, they went to a 1.5 DIN size radio. There are plenty of places that provide the mounting to put a single DIN size device in its place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals