• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Factory Radio Compatability

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
This one should drive people crazy!

I'll start out by saying I'm not a fan of aftermarket radios. The 1995 explorer came with a POS CD-Radio aftermarket, and it had some stupid thing called a "CD-Lock". So after we changed the failed battery, the deck wanted the exact CD that it was programmed with to 'unlock'. (if the last owner wanted "Abba-The Visitors" as the unlock CD? The new owner would have to use that exact CD to unlock the radio.....)

So I changed it out for a decent Alpine. Great CD! But the FM radio blew monkey chunks. And I do listen to a lot of radio! So a duff radio ruins my day.

We went with a 1996 AM/FM factory Cassette from a Ranger. Yes the harness is different, but thankfully I do a lot of electronic work and can adapt harnesses.

While at the pickypull yard, I did find a great system from a 1995 explorer that I did want-but some clown tore part of the face plate off trying to get it from the dash. (Seriously. 2 screws and the whole plate pulls out! No need to even use the special tools! So the clown ripped the face off....) Reason I wanted it? It had the CD changer that mounts in the armrest. Very sweet! And it wasn't the JBL, just a very sweet looking system.

Okay, I'll get off the rant box. I did note that Ford installed in the later later models a combination CD player with Cassette built in as well. I looked at the connectors and it was a lot different then the factory one our 1995 has.

I'll be returning to the pick and pull yards over the next couple of weeks and will be looking at newer factory radios with the CD player built in, as well Cassette if possible. (And I'll do a happy dance if I can find a CD-Changer system one that isn't broken apart by the local village idiot.)

So question for the group. Factory Radios. How far up in years can I go before we smack into the major issues. (computer unlock codes, networking via the radio that makes it useless unless it's linked to the onboard computer...etc...) I can splice and re-wire pretty much anything! But am of course concerned that if I go up to far in years, then we'll have problems.

Any information would be helpful!

Thanks!

S-

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Are you sure it wouldn't be better to spend a 1/2hr on Crutchfield's website and order something good?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals