• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Factory options

Workshop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi everybody,
I'm a long time lurker and finally joined up.
I have a questions for those that would be in the know. I have a 1995 Ranger Supercab that has one piece fiberglass fender flares and running boards. I've had it about 5 years now. The gentleman I got it from said they were a factory option in 95 only but I'm skeptical. Were they an option?
Thanks.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome. I don't think that the one piece units that you describe were ever a factory option. Even if they were installed at a Ford dealership, there're probably aftermarket, and not Ford parts. I could be wrong, though.

Post some pics; I'm sure that others would like to your truck, too, along with these flairs and running boards.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can't say I have seen that on any year Ranger, but I haven't see every Ranger, lol

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Nice looking Ranger! Toonces would drive that.

I'm still leaning toward aftermarket on the running board / flairs. Take a closer look at mounting hardware; the braces underneath and the fasteners in the wheel wells. Aftermarket braces used over-sized "erector set" pieces with a lot of holes (like angled plumber's strap), to allow a "universal" installation. Ford parts should look they were custom designed to fit the fiberglass parts to the truck. Aftermarket usually used 3/8" hex head sheet metal screws in the wheel wells; I'd expect a Ford part to line up with existing holes or fasteners, and have metric fasteners.

Your pinstripes look aftermarket, too. Is that some kind of logo in the stripe above the Ranger fender emblems?

My impression is that you have a "mild" conversion that was done on the truck, probably by the original dealer. Definitely a nice looking truck.

Workshop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking Ranger! Toonces would drive that.

I'm still leaning toward aftermarket on the running board / flairs. Take a closer look at mounting hardware; the braces underneath and the fasteners in the wheel wells. Aftermarket braces used over-sized "erector set" pieces with a lot of holes (like angled plumber's strap), to allow a "universal" installation. Ford parts should look they were custom designed to fit the fiberglass parts to the truck. Aftermarket usually used 3/8" hex head sheet metal screws in the wheel wells; I'd expect a Ford part to line up with existing holes or fasteners, and have metric fasteners.

Your pinstripes look aftermarket, too. Is that some kind of logo in the stripe above the Ranger fender emblems?

My impression is that you have a "mild" conversion that was done on the truck, probably by the original dealer. Definitely a nice looking truck.
I've been thinking, too, on the mounting hardware and the flare mounting hardware. I'll crawl under it when I get back home and get some pictures but if I remember correctly it has something resembling made to length support bars. I'm thinking the flare mounting hardware would be the aftermarket giveaway, though.
But this reminds me of an 86 Ranger Supercab I had once that I bought new. It came available right after the KC Royals won the World series. They were called an MVP. They were a dark shadow blue with a white racing stripe down the length of each side with MVP at the tail end. I think it was pretty much just a Midwest thing done at the last minute. George Brett, the catcher, and MVP of the Royals was the speaker in the commercials.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not any factory option I've ever seen. It looks like something done by a conversion shop. A dealer may have sold it that way but the look screams conversion. Not that it's a bad one. It looks like they did a good job.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
There were dozens of companies back in the 80's and 90's that produced "body kits" or "ground effects kits" that were simple bolt on's.
Mand dealerships would buy/install these kits on new trucks and sell them as "factory installed", but they were aftermarket parts/kits.
Companies like Street Scene made them for just about every truck made.. Ran from a few hundred to thousands depending on maker and quality..
They were made for everything from lowered mini trucks to full size, to raised trucks for the "4 runner look"
Google up an old issue of Mini Truckin Magazine, from the 90's and you'll find dozens of adds for body kits.
Kind of rare now, I don't think anyone makes a kit like yours anymore. Probably worth a few bucks if in good shape if you decide to sell the parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Workshop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I got home this evening and crawled under it. At least as much as this old fat man could. The fender screws appear to be either 1/4 inch hex or 7mm. Evenly spaced. The front of the rear running board has a round rod that's flattened and angled at both ends with bolts.
But I believe the dead giveaway that it's aftermarket is the mid mount of the front running board that definatly looks like angled plumbing strap.
1122202015.jpg
1122202016.jpg
1122202017.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals