• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Factory Electric Fan ???

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Ref a 2009 Ranger with 2.3 and auto trans, with ac.....
Was detailing engine yesterday and noticed an electric fan assembly attached to radiator. Never noticed it before, and was unaware of it. Can find no reference to the electric fan itself.
Only reference is owners manual lists an engine cooling fan relay in underhood power distribution box, which mine does have.
And, engine has a standard mechanical fan.
Was this a standard factory installed fan, and if so, at what temp does it start to cycle ? Does appear to be a factory installation, but have never seen reference to it on the forum, or in any literature.
Have had the truck since March of 2019 and never noticed it :shok:

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Interesting. Sorry. I have no information in that.

So is it in front of the radiator or behind it between radiator and mechanical fan? Would be interesting to get info regarding cfm, etc. as a possibility for using that in e-fan conversions on other projects.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Its behind, covered/hidden by the shroud and between rad. and mechanical fan. Reason I never noticed it is because it is almost hidden by the shroud and all the hoses blocking view.
I just happened to notice some wires and a connection coming from the back/center of the rad, and found their attached to a fan. Wiring routes up to the top of the rad, but connection there is hidden under the top of the shroud.
I think it is a factory install due to the nature of the mount holding the fan motor. Intricate and attached at hard points...not like your typical aftermarket install. And of course there is the factory relay.
Maybe Dirtman can check his Ranger when he comes on...his is same year equipment as mine.
Took these just now...sure looks like a fan motor....

Attachments

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes its factory/standard equipment. It comes on when the AC is on. I had the same question when I first "discovered" mine.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Thanks. The only reference I have found is just the mention of the fan relay in the owners manual in the fuse bloc section.
Been googling it different ways under cooling/ac/electrical systems, and cannot find any mention of it. No mention of it in Ford replacement parts under cooling system.
Does it come on automatically with ac or is it temp actuated ? (if you know)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ill check my workshop manual when I get home, I think it comes on automatically with the AC because of the heat from the condenser. I do not think it's wired to operate based on engine temp.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
@Grumpaw the service manual doesn't give a ton of info either except the electric fan is ONLY used on the 2.3 engine and ONLY in models with A/C. Diagnostic tests refer to checking to see if the fan comes on/off when the A/C is turned on/off. According to the manual based on the diagnostic troubleshooting it should never come on unless A/C is on.

So based on that it is 100% a function of the air conditioning system and not in any way connected to the engine cooling system temp. You would think it would be smart for the engineers to program the PCM to kick the electric fan on in case of a mechanical fan failure (say the engine begins to overheat the electric fan could kick on at 20 or so degrees above normal) but apparently this is not the case. Its just hard wired to the AC circuit only.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Thanks. I'll play with it tomorrow and see if I'm able to see fan come on. If your has same than you'll see it's hard to see the electric fan turning thru the mechanical fan while it's turning also.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea, I noticed mine when doing the valve cover gasket and had the front of the engine apart. It's definitely deep in there. The PCM can see if its working or not, if it's not working it "should" set a CEL and have a code. I can't find any reference to what that code is though.

It does free spin so when the clutch fan spins the airflow actually causes the electric fan to spin too, but that obviously doesn't mean it's really on.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Interesting. Sorry. I have no information in that.

So is it in front of the radiator or behind it between radiator and mechanical fan? Would be interesting to get info regarding cfm, etc. as a possibility for using that in e-fan conversions on other projects.
I found a few instances of people removing the clutch fan and rewiring the electric fan to come on all the time and the concensus was it's not enough airflow to cool the engine by itself. Those people all said the engine would get quite hot on steep hills or hauling heavy loads. So, it doesn't appear to be useful for an E-fan conversion. Especially if you tried using it for a 4.0 ranger and certainly not for a V8 swap. Simply not enough CFM.

It's apparently pretty dinky and as I said, just designed to spill off some extra heat from the AC condenser.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I found a few instances of people removing the clutch fan and rewiring the electric fan to come on all the time and the concensus was it's not enough airflow to cool the engine by itself. Those people all said the engine would get quite hot on steep hills or hauling heavy loads. So, it doesn't appear to be useful for an E-fan conversion. Especially if you tried using it for a 4.0 ranger and certainly not for a V8 swap. Simply not enough CFM.

It's apparently pretty dinky and as I said, just designed to spill off some extra heat from the AC condenser.
Thanks. I might still watch the junk yard for one. That shroud might be better than my home made shroud for my e-fan.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question if I may ask, I have a Bronco II with auto trans, AC, and a 2.9L....my plastic fan was cracked and I wanted to convert to electric anyway so I got one of those aftermarket 16" fan kits and installed it (says it moves 3000 CFM). I set the fan to come on when the gauge hit between the N and the O......using a laser thermometer on the thermostat housing shows the fan comes on at about 216 and shuts off at about 206 with a 193 thermostat (manufacturer says 10 degrees drop is right). I can drive around town 25-35 mph with 90 degree temps and the fan never comes on. Sit idling at a stop light for a few minutes and the fan operates as the engine temp gauge gets up to the N ORMAL range. Using AC seems to have no effect on the engine temp. I'm happy with this but does it sound "right"?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my 2005 2.3 also has the electric fan from the factory. it went unnoticed for a few years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals