• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Factory a/c

RFD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Looking to restore factory a/c on my 1986 supercab with 2.9l. Can't find any reference material i.e. pictures to figure out what brackets maybe missing. All I have is the front cast aluminum. Any help is appreciated. Thx, RFD2

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Have you checked the local junkyards for old RBVs with AC?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2nd gen 2.9, base setup is very similar

Pertinent info from the parts book:

Compressor.png

Condensor.jpg

AC Box.jpg

Hoses.png

RFD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the local junkyards for old RBVs with AC?
Yes and to no avail so far. Thx for reference material. The pics and parts illustrations are very helpful. Now I know that attempting to fabricate something is not practical.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
"If it were me".

First, get an accurate assessment of what is missing.
Two major points to keep in mind- the original system was R12, and you'll need to upgrade to a newer refrigerant; AND, most of the original components would need to be replaced anyway with new parts, due to wear and/or incompatibility with the new refrigerant.

The info that @85_Ranger4x4 posted will help get you to that point. Also be aware that there was factory-installed AC, and dealer-installed AC which had differences between them.

If the truck has missing or destroyed AC parts, going back stock will likely mean tracking down some of the bits and pieces, and then having to buy more parts as new for the reasons above (compressor, hoses, drier, orifice valve and condenser at minimum, and likely the evaporator too).

At this point, again "if it were me", I'd look to see if any of the aftermarket companies offer a "complete kit" package for a first-gen Ranger. Just google "aftermarket automotive air conditioning" and there will be several companies you can check with. If your truck had factory-installed AC, look for a kit that includes a new original-style evaporator to fit in the original location, and you'll need to determine if you'll need the "mount and drive" components for the compressor. What you won't need, probably, is the AC/heater control head and ducting that's inside the cab.

Hope that this helps, and gives you an idea of other possible options. If you'd like, post some pics of you have, especially the evaporator case on the passenger firewall and the engine compressor mount, and we might can pin down more specifics for you.

Good luck!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Once you get past the bracketry and evap housing pretty much the entire factory system is very available new aftermarket. Compressor, hoses, condenser, evaporator etc.

FWIW I am converting my truck to A/C and I am sticking to the factory system the best I can (with the exception I have a non factory powerplant)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
(with the exception I have a non factory powerplant)
Actually, you've built a Ranger like the factory SHOULD HAVE. I really like how well you've done that truck.

RFD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
"If it were me".

First, get an accurate assessment of what is missing.
Two major points to keep in mind- the original system was R12, and you'll need to upgrade to a newer refrigerant; AND, most of the original components would need to be replaced anyway with new parts, due to wear and/or incompatibility with the new refrigerant.

The info that @85_Ranger4x4 posted will help get you to that point. Also be aware that there was factory-installed AC, and dealer-installed AC which had differences between them.

If the truck has missing or destroyed AC parts, going back stock will likely mean tracking down some of the bits and pieces, and then having to buy more parts as new for the reasons above (compressor, hoses, drier, orifice valve and condenser at minimum, and likely the evaporator too).

At this point, again "if it were me", I'd look to see if any of the aftermarket companies offer a "complete kit" package for a first-gen Ranger. Just google "aftermarket automotive air conditioning" and there will be several companies you can check with. If your truck had factory-installed AC, look for a kit that includes a new original-style evaporator to fit in the original location, and you'll need to determine if you'll need the "mount and drive" components for the compressor. What you won't need, probably, is the AC/heater control head and ducting that's inside the cab.

Hope that this helps, and gives you an idea of other possible options. If you'd like, post some pics of you have, especially the evaporator case on the passenger firewall and the engine compressor mount, and we might can pin down more specifics for you.

Good luck!
Thx for your advice. The "if it were me" is exactly how I'm going to tackle this. I'll post pics asap. I'm reasonably confident it's factory a/c, but you can be the judge.

RFD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Once you get past the bracketry and evap housing pretty much the entire factory system is very available new aftermarket. Compressor, hoses, condenser, evaporator etc.

FWIW I am converting my truck to A/C and I am sticking to the factory system the best I can (with the exception I have a non factory powerplant)

RFD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Aftermarket sources being LMC and rock auto? I'm assuming. Any others you recommend? Also, did you swap in a small block in yours? I'm thinking about the same in mine eventually. Thing is, I'm in Phx, Az, without a/c it's seasonal driving for sure.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Aftermarket sources being LMC and rock auto? I'm assuming. Any others you recommend? Also, did you swap in a small block in yours? I'm thinking about the same in mine eventually. Thing is, I'm in Phx, Az, without a/c it's seasonal driving for sure.
"aftermarket" being dealer added or one of the kits aimed at hot rodders.

I don't really even know why the dealer setup existed. It literally does the same thing as the factory stuff but everything but the evaporator housing is different.

dealer.jpg

Yeah, mine has a 302. 96-01 Explorer belt drive. Currently need to reroute my oil filter relocation hoses (hoping to just go to an Explorer oil filter adapter) so I have room for the compressor.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I don't really even know why the dealer setup existed. It literally does the same thing as the factory stuff . . .
Mainly, for PROFIT!

In the mid '70s through the early '90s, when I was doing automotive aftermarket, car dealers would order a lot of stripped units, then have companies like I worked for "preload" the strippers with stereos, pin stripes, paint and fabric protection, and they would make a LOT more markup on the add-ons versus the profit they'd see from the same factory accessories.

Then there would be further "upsale" opportunities when the vehicle sold. Tape units or upgraded sound systems, CB radios, power antennas, cruise control, fog lights, sunroofs, air conditioning, and later cell phones.

It was kind of a racket. Buyers pretty much had to take the preloads, and low quality goods and half-ass installation caused complaints. The car manufacturers started cracking down on the practice, and the technology changed anyway so that the practice went away. I guess that I was in it in its true "glory days", and it was a fun way to make a living.

The dealership parts counter also sold accessories (as in the dealer installed AC), as the Parts Dept. was also a profit generator. But the aftermarket was cheaper, in the parts and especially in the non-dealership labor cost.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story".

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks for the pics.

Your truck had factory-installed AC, not dealer-installed.

Looks like the mount and drive may all be there, except for rear brace (19D943 or 2889 in the drawings above).

Firewall pic, the accumulator/drier is missing, and the evaporator core has been open to the elements, so it's better to be replaced, too.

RFD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thx again for the info, at least it seems like I have more than I thought for brackets. Everything else I was planning on replacing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals