• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fabricating simple yet effective 4x4 "mud truck" frame

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
A member who recently got the boot was pretty adamant about pretty much never buying a used welder. Reasoning was If the schmuck who owned the thing before you beat on it like a red headed step child with no regard to duty cycle and stuff it'll never ever give you a good weld.

Made sense to me, I never would of thought of that honestly.
You must be taIking about Dirtman...He was a quite the skeptic, but I had never thought of that, may be sometimes true, although Sometimes its just a guy ready to upgrade, or never uses it.
I have a brand new Lincoln TIG welder I may sell. Bought it on a whim last year and never used it, and probably never will. Mostly because I can do what little TIG jobs at work, and also it is air cooled. I paid $2k out the door after taxes, filler rods, spare tips etc...I'd probably let it go for$1500, maybe even 12...
Some of the used welders I see are pretty beat looking though haha

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
A member who recently got the boot was pretty adamant about pretty much never buying a used welder. Reasoning was If the schmuck who owned the thing before you beat on it like a red headed step child with no regard to duty cycle and stuff it'll never ever give you a good weld.

Made sense to me, I never would of thought of that honestly.
I think I'd trust a used established machine over a new one from HF. I guess if the seller is a welding shop or something I'd be more concerned about condition but if it's out of someone's home garage I wouldn't be too worried. I'm no welder, but I work with a lot of them. They have all said that if you're starting out and don't really know what you're doing, the last thing you need is a welding machine that is a poor or inconsistent performer. I ended up saving my Shekels and buying a Hobart MIG welder. It was quite a few years ago but I think I paid somewhere around $800 for it, and it has performed flawlessly every time I've used it. Another nice thing is that if there's ever anything wrong with it I know where to take it, and I know they can get parts for it. Mine can be used with 110V or 220V, which is really nice to have sometimes when I have to use it outside of its home in my garage. MIG is all it does, and it does it very well.
I watched a Syncrowave in an online auction a few months ago, with the intention of seeing what it bid up to near the end and perhaps bidding on it. I forgot about it, and when I logged back in a few weeks later saw it went for $80. Regardless of condition, I'd say whoever got that got a good deal.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Along this subject, my sons resident Elf decided to play around with my welder last night.
899F5551-DD03-4791-B237-5B08BF2C1832.jpeg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't know if you get the HFT emails, but there's a thing this weekend for 15% off welders... 20% for ITC members...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals