• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

f150 whine

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
well this is my second winter in wyoming, my 2006 f150 has 38,000 miles, it is a 4.2l v6 with the 4r70w,

well here is my ?
when it cold out, like from 10* and down into the negatives i get a whine when i start my truck, it seems worse this winter than last, but basically sounds like the starter is staying engaged for a few seconds after i start it, or like a bad torque converter whine,

do any of you have any ideas, thanks there no codes or no other symptoms, just that when i start it

im going home for xmas so hopefully the ford dealer i bought it from will look at it, because spradley ford up here, wont touch my truck unless i go to the manager first, and last year it was a lot of BS and nothing fixed

timster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
isnt still under warranty? I know when I worked for an ambulance service, the local dealer was refusing to work on our brand new ambulance, so we called ford, they sent a rep to the area. They ended up forcing the dealer to build a new facility or close it, since it was so out of date and run down. They closed that location. But after that they would repair the unit in their other location. We stopped using that dealership, and traveled a little further to another dealer.

But as from your problem I dont know what to tell you, unless for some reason the cold is causing the starter to remain engaged partly till it warms up the bushing or something like that, so it will release.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
bought the badass 75k mile extened bumper to bumper warrenty when i bought it in oklahoma, but some reason spradley ford up here in wyoming i got to go the manager even if it takes a min out of there employes time(atleast thats how it was last year) so i don"t even wanna waste my time this year with them, so if my local dealer(in oklahoma) cant figure it out think im just going to cash in on the ext warrenty depending how much it is, because its usless if i have to go to the manager to get stuff done just because i bought it out of state.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My 96 does it to on cold mornings.

I beleive its the power steering pump trying to pump cold, thick fluid.

later,
Dustin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals