• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

F150 4.4 Diesel possible in '09

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
"Ford F-150 may get V-8 diesel under hood

AUTOWEEK

July 8, 2006

DETROIT – Ford is developing a 4.4-liter V-8 diesel engine for use in the Ford F-150 pickup later this decade.

The diesel engine awaits final approval, but suppliers and industry sources say Ford is well along in the planning process. The engine would be a scaled-up version of a 3.6-liter V-8 diesel Ford began producing for Range Rovers in April at a plant in Dagenham, England.

Timing of the new diesel's appearance in the F-150 isn't certain. If the 4.4-liter engine is approved, sources say Ford would need at least two or three years to launch production.
Company spokesman Nick Twork declines to confirm Ford's plans for the 4.4-liter engine. “The best thing to say is we intend to maintain truck leadership,” Twork says. “We have some great diesel engines in our lineup.”

Diesel engines are available in a variety of larger pickups from Ford and other automakers. Now several companies are believed to be considering diesels for use in half-ton pickups.

For several years, Ford has considered proposals for a diesel F-150 pickup. The company had considered buying the engine from an outside supplier. Now Ford wants to produce its own engine.

Sources say Ford could produce the 4.4-liter engine in Dagenham and ship it to the United States.

Although Ford has not settled on the engine's production volume, suppliers and analysts say Ford could produce 100,000 diesel-powered F-150s. Sources say the engine also could be used in the Ford Expedition SUV."

I heard about this in Petersons, and found some info on google to back it up. Sounds like a fun swap into a RBV!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I just read in Popular Mechanics that the 4.4L diesel will be available in 2009 F-150's. May have to buy one...

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
That's great and all, but since you can already spend $40,000+ on an F-150 without a diesel, just think what there gonna cost with one. $50K for a 1/2 ton? Give me a break. Even a stripper model is gonna cost you $30K in a 4x4. Might as well buy a 3/4 or 1 ton.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Sweet! finally a half ton diesel! this means in about another 5-10 years we can start thinking about swaping these into our 1/4 tons!

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
That's great and all, but since you can already spend $40,000+ on an F-150 without a diesel, just think what there gonna cost with one. $50K for a 1/2 ton? Give me a break. Even a stripper model is gonna cost you $30K in a 4x4. Might as well buy a 3/4 or 1 ton.
I already have a 3/4 ton, it is killing me on miles.

I doubt you would ever be able to swap in a Deisel. You would be better off swapping the body onto the diesel chassis with all the mods it would need to work on a RBV chassis.

chittybangbang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's because it's an underpowered gas motor for that big of a truck.
I have the 5.4 (2 valve) in my e-250 and yes its a slug.I'm happy when I hit 12 mpg.Ford has to get real with making fuel efficient vehicles, diesel or not.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
That's because it's an underpowered gas motor for that big of a truck.
While I agree the engine does work pretty hard to move the truck, it will move it quite well when hammered. I've even towed 13K with it and it moved slow, but got the job done.

I think forD needs to revise their gassers for more fuel economy. All their motors suck the gas.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ain't buying another Ford until they get past this ugly "bold" crap. Diesel or not.

Hell, I'll stuff a Deere motor in my ranger first.

chittybangbang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ain't buying another Ford until they get past this ugly "bold" crap. Diesel or not.
You mean the pig snout with SUPER DUTYon the radiator.My god what was Ford thinking?

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ford WASNT thinking.....

they were following the fashion trends....i think new trucks look hideous, any make, any model.

BUGNUT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think forD needs to revise their gassers for more fuel economy. All their motors suck the gas.
You've got that right. My '04 Focus is hard pressed to get 28-30 mpg per cdn gallon. Why did my '74 Gran Torino get better mph with a 302 carburated V8 than my '00 fuel injected Ranger 4.0?

Cast iron block and 2 valves per cylinder, MY GOD, FORD NEVER LEFT THE 1960's. You can't throw fuel injection and electronic ignition on a 40 year old engine design and call it high tech.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

kaskirov

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
interesting... i read in truck trend a few years ago that ford had made a v6 diesel for their commercial trucks that had the same mounts as the f-150. Maybe if i could get a 4x4 f-150 with a stick (not possible in canada, same in the US?) and they don't charge like 8+grand for the diesel i will get one. I could get use to the bigger truck... although i do like my ranger. its a nice size for the city.

I also dislike the new super duty look. if you get the body colored grill it doesn't look too bad though

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You've got that right. My '04 Focus is hard pressed to get 28-30 mpg per cdn gallon. Why did my '74 Gran Torino get better mph with a 302 carburated V8 than my '00 fuel injected Ranger 4.0?

Cast iron block and 2 valves per cylinder, MY GOD, FORD NEVER LEFT THE 1960's. You can't throw fuel injection and electronic ignition on a 40 year old engine design and call it high tech.
Detroit automakers never had any incentive to improve the efficiency of their powerplants till now. If they don't they will bleed to death. I do see Chrysler dying within five years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals