• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

F150 2006 fuel pump issues

Josh1891

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Automatic
My 2006 Ford F-150 just stalled and wouldn’t start on me. I checked to see if I could hear the pump when turned on and there was nothing. Did some research read about the fpdm going bad so that was cheaper and easier so replaced that. There was no change. So I figured it had to be the pump. Dropped the tank pulled pump out of tank hooked new pump to wire harness and nothing. Checked fuse and it was blown. Did more research put power to the old pump straight from the battery and the pump kicked on. Hook old pump up to harness and the fuse dose not blow.
I am completely lost here idk which way to go next. Could the PCM or the PCM RELAY be bad causing this ? Idk any help would very appreciated right now

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
My 06 Super Duty with the 5.4L just quit today too. Just a week ago it was in the shop getting its 4th fuel pump & 3rd FPDM. This is a business truck so it is professionally maintained for that reason. Through just about all of '18 I fought the exact same symptoms you described - I chased this thing from fuel pump & FPDM to rail pressure sensor, spark plugs, coils, entire throttle body assy, several relays, CPS, phaser solenoids, and it still had issues. Eventually turned out to be the PCM, which died in the middle of a snowstorm several hours from town. Your new PCM must be custom flashed by Ford if that is the case.

Do you have access to a scan tool? If so, what codes does it throw, if any?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I'd look at overlaying the wiring from the BJB to the IFS and the IFS down to the FPDM, and if it happens again replace the FPDM.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
This too ^
Test with volt meter at the fuel pump. Mine has had the wiring fix installed. As you say the FPDM has already been replaced I'd check wiring from the IFS and check the signal wire from the PCM. Mechanic noted in his report that the PCM was sending 75 volts which almost sounds like a meter error. If your voltage is out of spec, replace PCM.

Since you say it quit on you, try this - unplug the cam phasers (one plug facing straight up at the top-front of each valve cover on each side) the lightly tap the general area with your wrench and try to start it again. If it fires right up then pour 1-2 quarts ATF in the engine oil fill tube & drive it hard for a day. Then ASAP run a quart of motor flush & change oil, should get you by. If it still sounds like a 6.7 then quits at idle, you'll need to do the phasers.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Also, the in-cabin junction box in your '06 has the relay for the fuel pump soldered into it. Some models put the relay way up behind the radio. A relay breakout & standard ISO relay will fix it, but you'll need the wiring diagram for your truck. This is what killed mine - diagnosed with known good pump, FPDM, and good wiring but no signal from PCM after the "smart" fuse panel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals