• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

f-150 problems

Milker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
i got a 1989 f-150 with a 302 v8.(the truck in my signature) It had a ruff life being a farm truck. It has some kind of problem we cant fix. It acts like the coke is stuck on the carb, one of those problems. But its fuel injected.

Hard to explain, but sometimes it just wont start and ill crank and crank on it but nothing. Then give it and hour and itll start right up. My dad thinks its an electrical problem and the plugs arent firing, i think its flooding.

When it does run the truck shakes like it has a big block in it but its only a 302.

Anybody know whats wrong or how to fix it? Help is always welcome. Thanks

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Big blocks don't shake.

Get a $25 code scanner from Walmart. I can think of a couple of things, but a code scanner would be a better help. For instance, the coolant temp sensor could be bad. It could be telling the truck it's warmed up when it isn't. Then it won't give it the extra zap of fuel it needs to start cold.

But there is no way to solve a problem without trouboleshooting. And in this case the computer is probably bursting to tell you what is wrong and you just need to figure out the code scanner and listen to it.

Milker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
well the car shakes in my opinion with a big motor in it, but im the single cylinder man not 8.

anyway u bring up a good point with it being cold, i cant check for this morning it now died and towed to the shop

847alexc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like your engine is flooding
Had a similar problem on my 92 5.0l bronco. 3 things were working against me on that one.
1) Oil from the breather was getting through to the intake as the pistons were worn and pushing more oil through than the filter could handle, check under you main air filter in the cleaner box to look at the breather filter.
2) Due to the oil, the Idle Air Control valve didn't work right. Its the valve on the throttle body which controls air influx during closed throttle. Try starting the car with partially open throttle. Full throttle starts on those motors deactivates the fuel injectors altogether, until releasing the pedal. This may help start it after you have already flooded it.
3) related to the flooding, look for the ignition resistor on you motor. On my vehicle, it was located near the belt drive and had apparently been ripped off. This controls vehicle ignition timing. Once making sure it is there and not damaged, remove it and check the base ignition timing. You have to remove this to get the computer to not adjust the timing electronically, the only was to properly adjust the base timing.If you live at high altitude, advance the spark about 2-4 degrees. Not too far though, don't want to cause detonation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals