• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extremely high idle

Sludawg40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,
I just recently made this account after buying a 1989 Ford bronco II recently, when I got it ran like a dream, but after replacing the valve cover gaskets to stop an oil leak my bronco II wouldn’t start. Quick trip to Walmart for a damn battery got it to start... but to my surprise as soon as I start the car it almost redlines at 5k on the tach and sounds just like an airplane going supersonic... I’ve replaced the vacuum lines as they were all brittle don’t know if they’re on there 100% right but there’s no openings on the intake leaking air in either... any help would be deeply appreciated thank you so much

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like your throttle is stuck open or you have a major vacuum leak or your idle air control valve (IAC) fell off. Check again for leaks, electrical connectors pulled loose or something wedged in the throttle linkage.

Sludawg40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your throttle is stuck open or you have a major vacuum leak or your idle air control valve (IAC) fell off. Check again for leaks, electrical connectors pulled loose or something wedged in the throttle linkage.
Hey I just got back inside from checking all the electrical connections, those seemed in order, as well as the vacuum lines, as for the throttle body it remains closed the whole time, so I guess it off to pick up an IAC Valce? And see how that goes.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hey I just got back inside from checking all the electrical connections, those seemed in order, as well as the vacuum lines, as for the throttle body it remains closed the whole time, so I guess it off to pick up an IAC Valce? And see how that goes.
I don't know if that can send the idle as high as you're describing. With the engine running, unplug the IAC electrical connector. The engine should stall as the valve closes.

Sludawg40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if that can send the idle as high as you're describing. With the engine running, unplug the IAC electrical connector. The engine should stall as the valve closes.
Unplugged the IAC with the engine running and no budge, still at 5k on the tach

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Pull off the intake snorkel to the throttle body, is the throttle plate completely closed?
Cover off the throttle body opening with some cardboard and seal it, try to start the engine........

what happens?

danielp3344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
32/11.5R15
knowing what engine you have might help but at least on mine (2.9) there are three vacuum lines tucked under the throttle body where you could easily miss them. I'd ignore the IAC, pretty sure it can only get the engine up to maybe 2k. also maybe look for a large crack in the manifold? all that air has to come from somewhere...

Pictures of the throttle body and overall engine bay would be nice

Sludawg40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco II
Transmission
Manual
knowing what engine you have might help but at least on mine (2.9) there are three vacuum lines tucked under the throttle body where you could easily miss them. I'd ignore the IAC, pretty sure it can only get the engine up to maybe 2k. also maybe look for a large crack in the manifold? all that air has to come from somewhere...

Pictures of the throttle body and overall engine bay would be nice
I’m going to take a look at it tomorrow before heading to thanksgiving dinner and I can snap a few pics but the engine is a 2.9

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals