• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extremely Harsh Ride

Gacknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My 89 Ranger STX High-Rider regular cab with a 4" (Moded to around 6") suspension lift rides really, really, really harsh.

And I don't mean it rides like a truck. My 86 FSB with 9" of lift on 38"s rides like a truck. My 93 Explorer rides like a nice truck.

This thing rides like a go-kart.

I have never rode in anything that was this harsh. Not even my 89 Mustang with Saleen Auto-Cross race springs rides this harsh.

Wile I have lived with it for the last 10yrs, I am ready to do something about it. So first I need to know "Why" it rides this way.

I bought the truck with the lift already on it, but I believe the lift kit is from Trail-Master. It uses the drop plate for the pass side beam instead of a new bracket and the shocks had Trail-Master stickers on them. I placed coil spacers under the front coil because it had some serious rake to it. The rear looks like stacked blocks and an Add-A-Leaf. Rear shocks are the twin tubes that had the Trail-Master stickers on them when I bought the truck. Front shocks are ProComp ES-1000's.

Pics :icon_twisted:

I just found the spring rate calculator in the tech section and plan on using it to calculate the spring rates later.

So, why does it ride so harsh?
Is it the shocks?
The spring rate?
Or both?

Last edited:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Get rid of the stacked blocks and leafsprings and replace with some Chevy 63"s and/or belltech shackles.

Check your leaf spring bushings.

Check your ttb pivot bushings, radius arm bushings, and cab mount bushings for wear.

For the front maybe a softer coil designed to give the proper lift height instead of the TrailMaster coils.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Old shocks will cause a rough ride also.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Gacknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Some research is beginning to point to the shocks. Apparently ES1000's are a little stiff for an RBV.

Last edited:

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really? Huh, I was under the impression they are fairly soft.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
those coil springs are to stiff is my guess.
go with an EB or XJ coil... or even the softer TTB option of (is it Skyjacker??).

getting rid of stacked blocks and putting in 63's will help your ride quality.

then address all your bushings. make sure they are good. body bushings. suspension bushings. so on...

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Are those wooden blocks in the back!? Oh dear lord please tell me my eyes deceive me.

Do you notice it in the front or back when going over a bump (speed bump). If it's the back that kills - agreed, do the chevy leaf spring swap or see if you can t ake a leaf out. Stacking blocks like that is...well, certainly frowned upon.

As for the fronts, the springs are most likely the culprit. Find the spring rate of your currents, then find some others that are mucho softer

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
what I just found out...

1. their lifts are WAY overpriced to not include a real drop bracket or shocks..
2. their front coils are the same as RC lift coils (445 ppi)
3. their warranty supposedly sucks.

so therefore, swap out your front coils will help a lot.. find something softer. lookup on here the XJ coil swap or look around in the tech library about flexing your TTB and you'll learn some good stuff.

Gacknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Are those wooden blocks in the back!? Oh dear lord please tell me my eyes deceive me.
Cast Iron

Do you notice it in the front or back when going over a bump (speed bump).
Both, but the back literaly jumps off the ground on a speed bump.

I also don't want it too soft as it spends 90% of it's time on the highway.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
TTB skyjacker coils give a decent ride that wont be too soft, I got the 6 inch coils and ran them with no swaybars on my daily driver, did great. Even on long highway trips through the mountains at 70mph+.

Chevy 63" leaf springs flex well underneath a Ranger because they are such a long spring. But they are used under much heavier vehicles that it will not be too soft. They come in two variations
-3 leaf plus overload
-4 leaf plus overload
I recommend the 3+, which will be a little softer, they are found underneath 2wd Chebbie pickups, I got mine out of a 98 I believe. Try them, if you need more lift pair them with the belltechs, you should at least be able to get rid of one of the blocks and will notice a great improvement in ride and handling. You have to move you front hanger but it is a pretty simple procedure and there is plenty of info on this site if you need it.

A pair of springs from the yard shouldnt run any more than $30-40, and the belltechs are reasonably priced too making this a fairly inexpensive option to fix the rear.

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also get rid of your swaybars, that in itself will help quite a bit

Gacknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I got the measurements for the front springs and ran them through the spring rate calculator. 13/16" x 4.5" x 10 active coils = 672lb/in :icon_surprised:

I double checked, the only thing I may have messed up on are the amount of "Active" coils. I would not consider the last wrap on each end of the spring as active since they are flat against the spring bucket and lower retainer. If I am supposed to count those it works out to 13/16" x 4.5" x 12 active coils = 560lb/in

This lift was on here when I bought the truck back in 2001, and from the looks of it, it had been on there for quite some time. So these springs probably date back to the early '90s.

And the back is even harsher than the front :bawling:

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have the JD springs in mine. I will say I like the ride alot better from the Duff Stuff over what the old Skyjacker 6" was giving me.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I got the measurements for the front springs and ran them through the spring rate calculator. 13/16" x 4.5" x 10 active coils = 672lb/in :icon_surprised:

I double checked, the only thing I may have messed up on are the amount of "Active" coils. I would not consider the last wrap on each end of the spring as active since they are flat against the spring bucket and lower retainer. If I am supposed to count those it works out to 13/16" x 4.5" x 12 active coils = 560lb/in

This lift was on here when I bought the truck back in 2001, and from the looks of it, it had been on there for quite some time. So these springs probably date back to the early '90s.

And the back is even harsher than the front :bawling:

according to trail master they are a 445 ppi. regardless, WAY TO STIFF :icon_rofl: I'll be glad when I get my XJ coils up front on my B2.

Gacknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have the JD springs in mine. I will say I like the ride alot better from the Duff Stuff over what the old Skyjacker 6" was giving me.
How so?

according to trail master they are a 445 ppi.
But who knows what they where back in the '90s
Where not even 100% sure they are Trail-Master springs, that's just what the stickers on the shocks said.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals