• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

extra power out of my 2.9

detty_motorsports

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1992
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i was wondering if there where any tips for gettin more power out of my 2.9 in my 88 b2???

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0 or 5.0 swap

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
i noticed a small margin of extra power when i had an exhaust professionally done on my old 87 ranger along with a full K&N cold air intake.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i noticed a small margin of extra power when i had an exhaust professionally done on my old 87 ranger along with a full K&N cold air intake.
Oh boy... Basically the only thing you can do is swap... The 2.9 is already packing lots of heat for it's size...

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
swapping to a higher gears in the axles would provide more bang for the buck than perhaps anything.....provided the 2.9 is healthy

detty_motorsports

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1992
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
swapping to a higher gears in the axles would provide more bang for the buck than perhaps anything.....provided the 2.9 is healthy
yes the motor is fairly new.... about 40000 miles its a jasper motor....... would intake spacers a 5.0l throttle body and different injectors help any????

Mysticcook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you dont do much highway driving taller gears will help, but at the expense of gas on the highway and a higher reving at highway speeds look at your rear axle tag . all have a tag with info. or u can look up your axle code (off driver side door) in the technical section will tell u what the truck had originally. then compare should b same unless someone swithched it already.

There is nominal stuff electric fan, exhaust bigger throttle body, porting heads. But you could spend better money on a 4.0 conversion as previously said sell your motor to recoup cost etc.

Check out the library great info in it

Gas is only going to go up!!!!!

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you dont do much highway driving taller gears will help, but at the expense of gas on the highway and a higher reving at highway speeds look at your rear axle tag . all have a tag with info. or u can look up your axle code (off driver side door) in the technical section will tell u what the truck had originally. then compare should b same unless someone swithched it already.

There is nominal stuff electric fan, exhaust bigger throttle body, porting heads. But you could spend better money on a 4.0 conversion as previously said sell your motor to recoup cost etc.

Check out the library great info in it

Gas is only going to go up!!!!!
he's prolly right. pretty much everyone i asked said the same thing. and there was heated conversations. ps if the guy whos name says pat kunz is the real pat kunz, you my friend are a god in the 2.9 world.

detty_motorsports

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1992
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pat Kunz u rock...... checked my rear end gear its a 3.73..... i really wanna stick with my 2.9 ( the parts are available ) my father in law and his friend and i all have b2s 2 89 and mines an 88 . where looking to buy another one or two......
yes i do most of my driving in the highway.....

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
i have the base timing advanced to 12*, 58MM throttle body, CAI, full catback exhaust and my 88 B2 is pretty peppy, actually faster than my buddies 92 Ranger w/ 4.0 5sp 1st through 3rd gear. He has 3.73 gears and 31s. i have 3.55 gears and 235/55/17. Also i recently towed the 6x12 U-haul trailer from albuquerque, new mexico to ft. polk, louisiana... approx 925 miles. Weight slips to prove the weight... almost 4000lbs even over the stock B2's weight. I towed at 65-75mph the entire trip, 4th gear until about amarillo, tx, once i got down into the lower altitude i was cruising in 5th. Averaged 13mpg.... DD I average about 17.5-19mpg

Last edited:

detty_motorsports

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1992
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have the base timing advanced to 12*, 58MM throttle body, CAI, full catback exhaust and my 88 B2 is pretty peppy, actually faster than my buddies 92 Ranger w/ 4.0 5sp 1st through 3rd gear. He has 3.73 gears and 31s. i have 3.55 gears and 235/55/17. Also i recently towed the 6x12 U-haul trailer from albuquerque, new mexico to ft. polk, louisiana... approx 925 miles. Weight slips to prove the weight... almost 4000lbs even over the stock B2's weight. I towed at 65-75mph the entire trip, 4th gear until about amarillo, tx, once i got down into the lower altitude i was cruising in 5th. Averaged 13mpg.... DD I average about 17.5-19mpg

ya i know bout all the basics..... i was thinking maybe 2 small turbos like off a 4cyl thunder bird...... is this a good idea or bad??????

wannaturbo2.9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's a great idea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals