• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

External Hard drive

dragogt

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking about a stackable ULTRA 500 GB hard drive enclosure, that my neighbor has for sell he was asking 150 for it but I don't want to pay that much for it, unless it's worth it. B/C I've seen 1TB ones for <100 bucks.

What'll yall think???

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That's a ridiculously high price. You can pick one up for far less just by going to BestBuy/Staples, etc... If you order online, you should be able to pick up a 1TB for $80ish. A few months ago I was able to get a 400GB WD Elements Portable 2.5" external for $60.

dragogt

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's a ridiculously high price. You can pick one up for far less just by going to BestBuy/Staples, etc... If you order online, you should be able to pick up a 1TB for $80ish. A few months ago I was able to get a 400GB WD Elements Portable 2.5" external for $60.
Good luck w/ it, i havent heard much good about them, thats one of the ones that my bro had that died.

Ok he just bought it by for me to look at, he just got it in April I sw the invoice this what it looks like...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4348752&csid=_22

and about what he paid also, when he quoted the 1st price he didn't remember what he had paid.

what do yall think is a far price?

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The Elements Portable has a 5 star rating at NewEgg. If you've only heard bad things, you were dealing with a very small sample size.

As to price... I wouldn't offer more than $50 for a used 500GB drive. Too many larger, brand new ones available for $90 or less.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Western Digital is the BEST!
LOL, maybe they've gotten better; back a long time ago, they produced some very poor drives as was a reliability. I want to say they had a 4 or 4.5GB drive that I had RMAed 3 times - or until it was out of warranty - same with a 45GB I had a couple years later. It's amazing to think I paid $250 for that drive brand new back then. What a waste of money. :)

Pete

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yeah, they've all had their strings of bad drives. I remember WD having a drive around 2000 or 2001 that was horrific. Maxtor developed a general reputation for failure that they've had trouble erasing. Seagate has had a nightmare of a time with one of their units lately (early 1.5tb's maybe, dno't remember for sure). By and large though, brand loyalty just gets you in trouble. Check to see if there have been any issues with the model you're looking at, then buy it if the price is right. All of the major brands produce decent drives most of the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals