• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

External fuel pump pressure, running bad

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 1987 ranger that I pretty much built. It has dual tanks. It started running like it was loaded up or starving for fuel. I checked the codes and got a 95. I cleaned up the grounds like has been suggested. I also tested the fuel pressure. It is running on the low side 29 psi. I changed the regulator and the filter. It did not improve. I disconnected the vacuum line from the pressure regulator and tested it again. I got 36 psi that time. I think unregulated it should be over 78 psi? I tested it on both tanks and got the same results. I have a new high pressure pump in the box that have not been put in??

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The in tank is a low pressure unit. The external high pressure should be 30-40 psi.
I'm not sure where the psi goes unregulated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FPR(fuel pressure regulator) on 1997 and earlier Rangers is set at 43psi max, no vacuum hose attached
So you are fine with the numbers you are seeing

Fuel pressure under 15psi would cause running issue, I can't see 29psi dropping that low even under high demand

Yes, the in frame pump could exceed 80psi with blocked return hose

Code 95 is an electrical issue, as you surmised
The computer monitors the 12volts being sent to fuel pump when it closes Fuel Pump relay, code 95 means that its wasn't seeing that 12volts all the time when it should have been

Exhaust blockage can cause what you describe, if air(exhaust) can't get out then new air(with fuel) can't get in so engine struggles to run, feels like its running out of gas..............because it is, new air with fuel can't come in
You can use a vacuum gauge to test for clear or blocked exhaust

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My exhaust is all less than 3 years old. From the heads back. The cat is old. With a vacuum gauge gage hooked up, it is in the normal except during idle. It stumbles off idle and lacks power. I disconnected and plugged the vacuum lines going in and out of the filter box in front of the iac. I have a ecm that is for no egr and the egr and it is blocked off. I also disconnected the charcoal canister and blocked the intake on the throttle body. It acts like it is loaded up. I have not pulled the plugs and looked at them. I had a bad icm before but it did act like it is now. I'm not ready to take it to the shop just yet but It is confusing me. When I built this truck a few years ago, the guides seemed pretty tight. I put new valve stem seals on and hand lapped all the valves.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals