• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extension housing seal

Todd.owen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know how to seal or where to buy a seal for the extension housing of my ranger? 05 5speed 2wd. I’ve tried making a gasket out of a sheet of fel-pro. I’ve also tried using permatex still without any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Clean both mating surfaces thoroughly (that is not nearly clean enough) and use black or greet RTV. Lay down an 1/4" bead all the way around, making sure to go all the way around all the bolt holes, put it on finger tight, let it set for 20-30 minutes and then torque it down. (Make sure the fluid level is low enough to not run out and touch the RTV while it's curing, best to jack the rear of the truck up). Let it cure over night before filling it with fluid and driving it. If that doesn't work something is very wrong.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that...

Looks like you used standard red, I don't like any of the standard RTV's anymore, I've been converted to the "ultra" lines, Ultra Grey/black/copper are all good, they are more resistant to oil, pretty sure powered by magic pixies or something, it's pretty much impervious to anything... I'm sure it'll give up to something but for most automotive fluids it's good...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
+1

It USE to be blue for sealing water and coolant (thermostats, water pumps etc), red for high temp stuff (anything near the exhaust), copper for super high temp stuff (the exhaust itself), black for oil (diffs, valve covers etc), clear for body and windows (windshields), grey for high torque (I guess things that get torqued hard lol), and green for stuff with friction modifiers in it (transmission and differentials).

I think there is purple now which is specifically for automatuc transmission fluid but I've never used it or had a problem with the other RTVs not working with transmission fluid.

There's also "sensor safe" versions but I've never had a sensor (o2 or otherwise) go bad from using any RTV so I'm not sure what the difference really is there.

I use ultra black for everything except exhaust parts and have yet to meet an automotive fluid it won't seal when used properly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use ultra gray for just about everything from my thermostat housing to the extension housing pictured above. It works great.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
for your leisure reading time: permatex.com

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I used ThreeBond 1184 (I think that's the number) when I put my TK back together. It's what I had around from snowmobile engines. It seems to have worked fine even with a buggered up surface in some places. Getting rid of all the old is important. Being Aluminum it's time consuming as I don't use power tools. Just a gasket scraper and time. Then wiped it clean with acetone and put the Threebond on. It uses some strong solvents judging by the smell so best to use it in a well ventilated area.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I use ultra gray for just about everything from my thermostat housing to the extension housing pictured above. It works great.
Same here.

Todd.owen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I used ultra black followed the instructions to a T. Went about 15 minutes up the road and it’s leaking all over again 🤦🏻‍♂️ I waited two days until I put gear oil in the trans and still having the same leaking issues as before. Is there anything else I could try to keep it from leaking?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Figure out where the massive crack in the case is. Cause that's the only way it could possibly be leaking...

Todd.owen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Figure out where the massive crack in the case is. Cause that's the only way it could possibly be leaking...
I’ve looked it over several times and never found a crack. It never sees off road just a daily pavement princess. Started as a little drip so I took it apart to put a new seal in and now cannot get it to seal whatsoever

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Where's it leaking? and are you saying you put gear oil in the transmission? It's supposed to take ATF, but that would leak worse (but shift way better)

There's gotta be something else going on

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have used all types of silicone sealants. Ultra gray was one of my favorites. Then I discovered "Right Stuff" by Permatex. That stuff is great. It is more expensive but it superior to anything I have ever used. There is one grade called "one minute" that you don't have to wait a long time to refill and put back into service. I like to give it more time to cure anyway.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I use anaerobic gasket maker for transmissions. I prefer it over RTV because you will not end up with blobs that squeeze out and potentially end up suspended in your trans fluid.

Are you sure that's where it's leaking from though? I had one that looked like it leaked from there, resealed it and it still leaked... When I pulled the trans it was obviously coming from the top cover seal but I couldn't tell that with the trans in the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals