• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extended Travel CV Axle Half Shafts

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
I posted this over on the Explorer forum, but wanted to share here for those interested:

I was checking into Trakmotive and their extended travel CV axles they now offer. They don't list them for front SLA IFS Ford Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac, but I got word from their sales rep that they are working on it for this year. Coverage would be 00-10 Ranger, which would also fit the 01-05 Sport Trac, and maybe some 95-01 Explorers. Here is their flyer:

03/2020: New Extended CV Axles Designed Specifically for Lifted Vehicles | TrakMotive

Sounds like great news, as I tend to get some binding or clunk when I am on the trail and maxing out the stock CV axle travel.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Well waiting for the chinese to manufacture more junk is like waiting for their virus to finish up. Sounds nice. Question: Isn't an engineered USA made alternative better? Certainly more expensive. It would be really nice if the CVs' also came with wider A arms. With these limits specified in their webpage, I think these would have exceptionally lower torque output before failure as any CV joint would have... at it's limits, which is what they are marketing. However there is no specified length increase of the CV axle it's self, just a pair of longer jaws with radiused corners? What about the stock ball joints? You know if you start into something up front, there is a looong way until things get right, again. If you do one thing to increase the travel, then what about the rest of the system?

I believe the front suspension is where you have to get it right from the start. While I rebuild my front end here in a few weeks, I will be installing new ball joints & coilovers (T bar delete & 2" increase in travel). This is where their product would be perfect, but then my ball joints will cause me to loose sleep.

I will be documenting everything in preparation for fab'ing new upper & lower A arms with some aftermarket heavy duty ball joints. Chrome-moly is easy to TIG. Just not east to bend. Or stay bent. Like a few dozen old friends of mine. Hey thanks for the post Mr. Fire.- MaicoDoug

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
Update on the extended travel and angle cv axles -- Trakmotive has added P/Ns for Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac on their updated product flyer!!! Woo hoo

Product Info Link

I haven't found the P/Ns listed at any retailers yet, but I emailed Trakmotive for more info on how to order them. I'll update as soon as I hear.

On my RBV with CV half axles, when the front is jacked up and the stock suspension is at full droop, one or both cv axles wants to bind when you try to spin the wheels. And then having the steering turned makes it worse.
I was wheeling last weekend and worrying about my CV axles with the jeep trails I was on. The clunking they do sometimes with just the right combination of suspension travel and steering angle is pretty loud.

Heck I've swapped out the DS CV axle between an OEM unit and cheap replacement, and they behaved the same. It's just kinda sad that we only have 5" of front travel to start with, and then actually less because of binding before it gets to full travel. I read somewhere about having the sway bar attached helps, so I'm doing that as insurance. I'm also running a front locker (on a CAD axle), so when I have a front wheel off the ground, fully drooped, it's not spinning and binding like crazy anymore, like it did with the open diff.

So my dream is a CV with more angle to make the front end bullet ... resistant, and get full droop and steering turn, and maybe shave the bump stop some for more compression.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Question: Isn't an engineered USA made alternative better?
Not necessarily, but nationalism has a way of blinding people so.. depends on how severely afflicted they are.

Last edited:

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
Got an email response from Trakmotive --

Thanks for your interest in our XTT axles. Those particular axles aren’t available quite yet. I would say within the next month or so. When they are released but your local auto parts store should be able to order the axles from their nearest distributor. TrakMotive products are also available online through e-tailers.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
"Not necessarily, but nationalism has a way of blinding people so.. depends on how severely afflicted they are" Say what? chinese quality & metallurgy is junk. I guess that is what you refer as being blind.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals