• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extended Cab Weight and Removal?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a used 93 Extended Cab with 128k on it. For living in Iowa its entire life the thing is in relatively immaculate condition. That said, I want it to last for a while, so I want to clean up the frame surface rust and put some rust bullet on it.

I've never done anything like this before; it's all new to me, but I'd like for this truck to last a long time. From what I've read the simplest thing will be to pull the bed and cab so I can blast the frame and then apply the sealer. I pulled the bed fairly easily on my other Ranger, but I'm guessing the cab is a bit more difficult.

Has anyone removed the cab? Or can I get away with not removing it and instead jacking it up 6 inches or so and having it rest on some 4x4s? I also have to change the slave, and with a Y-Pipe to deal with I was kind of hoping to get the cab off to make pulling the tranny a cinch.

I unfortunately do not have any access to a lift, hoist, or anything that would make sense for this, so it would end up being 3 or 4 guys trying to He-man it over the engine and onto some sort of platform. Sound doable?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would say... that if you can get your hand on some hydraulic (bottle) jacks, and some sturdy blocks to put them on, you could lift the cab up yourself a little bit at a time.

Granted, I have never done this, but, you never know, haha.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm curious about this as well. I'd like to pull the cab and bed off of the 86 Regular cab I just picked up. thankfully I don't have to deal with an engine since it was already removed. but still have a transmission I will have to clear.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Depending on how far you want to go with it, it's no more difficult than a body lift.

Get some good beams to slide under the body, and a good safe base to rest them on, and just take your time lifting it up.

I did my body lift myself, so I don't see why someone with some brains and who's willing to pay attention to what's going on can't pull it off.

You should probably plan on new body bushings while your at it. Most likely enough deterioration and rust on the current mounts that it'll make sense to replace them, and cutting them off is a lot easier than fighting rusted bolts.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't speak for locovaca but I was planning to replace the body mounts. I will be replacing them as well as (I hope) painting the frame. I know that the bed will be coming off to do some things on the tail end of the truck, figured I may as well pull the cab and clean all of it.

Get some good beams to slide under the body, and a good safe base to rest them on, and just take your time lifting it up.
That part's the only thing I'm worried about. I know 4x4s would be strong enough to support the cab, but I'm not sure what's stable enough to put them on. While I have the body off the frame I would also like to clean the bottom side and put a good undercoating on it. Want it on something sturdy if I'm going to be getting under there.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, new cab bushings is really what got me started on this. The two for the radiator support are disintegrated beyond belief. So my brain started ticking, if I was already going through all that work, why not just go the extra yard and get everything shiny, coated, and new?

I've been doing some reading over at RPS and it sounds like getting every last bit out of the cab you can (doors, dash, steering column, etc.) and you can get it manageable for two average people, so that's my plan.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That part's the only thing I'm worried about. I know 4x4s would be strong enough to support the cab, but I'm not sure what's stable enough to put them on. While I have the body off the frame I would also like to clean the bottom side and put a good undercoating on it. Want it on something sturdy if I'm going to be getting under there.
The cab isn't all that heavy. 4 strong guys could easily lift the whole doghouse, and its a lot less than a BII body.

I used heavy concrete blocks (not cinder blocks), and just cross stacked them (holes up so that they are on edge), then put a piece of 2x10 "flat" on top.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep as I figured I'm gonna have trouble. I'm gonna be doing it by my self. No one in the neighborhood that I can get assistance from, all of my friends are off at college or waiting on a position to move back local. My dad doesn't even want me to remove the cab, says it's a waste of time and energy. To quote him, "it's an (86) Ranger, when you get done it'll still just be an (86) Ranger." Personally I think he's just worried that I'll come hollering for help on something, and I want to do this entire thing without his help. The only thing on this build I want help from him on is the actual engine swap, and that's because I need to borrow his hoist to remove and install it. Not meaning to sound ungrateful towards him, I'm extremely grateful for the help he's given me in the past. I just need to do this one my self.

BTW when I say cinder blocks I am referring to concrete blocks. Don't know why but I refer to both as cinder blocks.

Last edited:

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're going to do an engine swap, it'd be a lot easier to do without the cab on the frame, but I understand what your dad means.
Like I said though, I did mine by myself. It just takes time and attention.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals