• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer upgrades

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Some updates:

Got the locker installed in the rear. Seems to drive pretty smooth on the road. I got frustrated trying to make a shroud for my mechanical rad fan, so I bought a performance electric. I also bought a thermostat that kicks the fan on at 185F. There is an amazing difference between this fan and the junkyard e-fan I had before. This fan really moves a lot of air; it sounds like a jet engine. I also have manual controls in the cab, in addition to the thermostat. All and all I have well over $350 into this radiator setup, but it should pay off.

I have a set of Jeep hubs coming from Jim.

I bought all the stuff I need to fab up some linkage for my transfer case, so I can get going on that while I'm waiting on the Jeep hubs and 35s.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Got tired of waiting for my retreads, so I cancelled the order and bought a set of 35x12.5x15 Pro Comp mud terrains, mounted and balanced on Rock Crawler rims. Should have those in a week or two.

I tore apart the front end an put Moog greasable joints everywhere. Got my speedo hooked up finally too. Have not had that since I put the doubler in. I had to re-route the cable to get it to reach.

The Jeep hubs are here. They're pretty beefy. Just holding them you can tell a big difference in weight from regular warn hubs. All I really need to do now is get a double cardian driveshaft going in the rear, and bolt on my wheels and tires when they get here. I should have a rig that I can drive to the trail at 65 MPH with no shakes or vibration, and then romp on the trail with no breakage and some pretty good performance. Some pics below:

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Def can't wait to see it back on the ground with the new 35's

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
This weekend I got the fenders trimmed for the 35s. Got a 1350 double cardian installed in the rear with Spicer joints. With a doubler and a 2 door Explorer, a front RBV shaft is just the right length. Also fabbed up some linkage to shift my t-case. Doesn't look awesome, but it shifts pretty smooth.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
gonna be sweet!

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
coming together nicely, but i think i need more of a panaramic shot of the truck to see the whole thing esc with the 35s on it.

On my old sport i was able to just switch the rear shaft and front shaft (yokes to) with the doubler in......i always figured if i broke the shaft in the doubler on the trails, i could pull the doubler out and switch shafts and yokes and be wheeling again in no time.

Did you get a decent warranty on your jeep hubs? i bought the basic warn hubs for my D35 and busted them 4-5 times in a year and half (using my 36's) and got them warrantied everytime through a local napa. Holshotracer bought the jeep hubs from a 4x4 vendor locally and he bust his in Early Jan. (using 33's) and he still has yet been able to get them warrantied (he broke the hat and does not have the actually lock out part any more, went flying). The vendor won't give him a straight answer and giving him the runaround.

But all in all, def need some whole truck shots

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
coming together nicely, but i think i need more of a panaramic shot of the truck to see the whole thing esc with the 35s on it.

On my old sport i was able to just switch the rear shaft and front shaft (yokes to) with the doubler in......i always figured if i broke the shaft in the doubler on the trails, i could pull the doubler out and switch shafts and yokes and be wheeling again in no time.

Did you get a decent warranty on your jeep hubs? i bought the basic warn hubs for my D35 and busted them 4-5 times in a year and half (using my 36's) and got them warrantied everytime through a local napa. Holshotracer bought the jeep hubs from a 4x4 vendor locally and he bust his in Early Jan. (using 33's) and he still has yet been able to get them warrantied (he broke the hat and does not have the actually lock out part any more, went flying). The vendor won't give him a straight answer and giving him the runaround.

But all in all, def need some whole truck shots

Still waiting on my 35s. When I get them you can be sure there will be some whole truck pics.

I bought these Jeep hubs from Jim here on TRS. I don't think there is a warrenty, however I don't plan on breaking them. From what I've read, they should be fairly reliable with 35s. I do carry some spare regular Warn manual hubs on board as well, just in case. Holeshot must have been giving his rig some decent gas to break a set of Jeep hubs running 33s. :beer:

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Time to get rid of those F150 coils and get some softer ones.
I'm wondering what those black coils against the wall towards the top of the page are?

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I'm wondering what those black coils against the wall towards the top of the page are?
Those are a set of 4.5" ZJ coils. They will go in the front end eventually, as soon as I can find some TTB drop brackets and extended radius arms. For now I'm going to keep running the F-150 coils, as they seem to do "pretty" well.

Got my new exhaust tonight so I'll be installing that. 35s will be here Friday this week or Monday next week.

Last edited:

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
drop brackets eh.....i vaguely recall a set of drop brackets:buttkick::icon_rofl:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Those are a set of 4.5" ZJ coils. They will go in the front end eventually, as soon as I can find some TTB drop brackets and extended radius arms. For now I'm going to keep running the F-150 coils, as they seem to do "pretty" well.

Got my new exhaust tonight so I'll be installing that. 35s will be here Friday this week or Monday next week.
Evan, you should come up here and we can build you a set of rad arms and mounts like mine. Just get 4' of 2" OD 1/4 wall DOM and some 3/8" plate along with the old arms and we will get ya set.

Oh and got your voice mail, went out to Kurus before you called but the Sploder was under some major snow, so I didnt get the yoke so no worries there as you got one.

drop brackets eh.....i vaguely recall a set of drop brackets:buttkick::icon_rofl:
Ya I wonder whos rig those are on:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals