• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer spring swap... did i screw up?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did the explorer springs on the rear of my 1st gen ranger. springs were from a '93 4 door
i didn't flip the centering bolts.
when i set them on the stock lift blocks, the bolt & nut on the bottom of the spring went right into the centering hole, no problem. is there any other reason to flip the center bolt other than fitment into the centering hole on the lift block?

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I thought you flip it mainly cause it'd be attached to top of axle not bottom so naturally you'd flip... I thought it was more of a fitment issue then anything...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You don't want the axle shifting around loosening the centerpin nut. I'd flip it regardless of the nut fitting in the hole.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You don't want the axle shifting around loosening the centerpin nut. I'd flip it regardless of the nut fitting in the hole.
this

the snugger the fit, the better. when you have play, you're gonna have problems.

the center pin from my EX springs was rusted pretty darn good, couldnt get it off to save my life. i hacked it off with the angle grinder and put a new one in. got them pretty cheap at the bronco graveyard if you need any.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the axle is flopping around in the u-bolts you are screwed already. If you have in cinched down right it won't know where the pin is and it won't care. Like a wheel with a hub-centric rim the clamping force is what holds it in place.

The centering pin is so you get the axle put on straight.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this

the snugger the fit, the better. when you have play, you're gonna have problems.

the center pin from my EX springs was rusted pretty darn good, couldnt get it off to save my life. i hacked it off with the angle grinder and put a new one in. got them pretty cheap at the bronco graveyard if you need any.
same her i cut it with a grinder and replace with grade 8 after trying to put it in the hole on the perch the head was to to big. easy fix was to grab the grinder and round the head off that way you don't have to wait on part orders

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals