• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer sport build

B II Ian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I've got alot of work ahead of me, have been collecting parts for a while now. I will be building my 1995 explorer sport 5 speed. I will be swapping in a Dana 60 front( converted to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and also possible narrowed use a 79 Dana 60 axle shaft on the passenger side)and a 9" axle rear and will be running 513 gearing. I will be using radius arm set up with 5.5 deaver early bronco coils. I have a 78-79 bronco/f150 steering box which will do the trick to stear 37-39" tire also run hydro assist posibly.

Any ways here are some pics

This is what it looked like right after I put 33 12.5 tires under it stock with a little bit of torsion twist.

I have been in the offroading scene since I was an ankle biter so attempting different obsticals were no fear for me.

In about 8 months I had 4 slave cylinders fail on me due to getting packed full of mud and chewing the seal. Takes me an hour to take the transmission out

1989 king pin Dana 60 and a 1983 bronco 9"

One last picture sitting on the 33s

Back axle gone

Back axle in and a 39" swamper bolted up to get an idea what it should look like

And that's a wrap. More pics to come next weekend when I got some gas for the fire axe to chop the ifs stuff out.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The more pics of this swap the better we like it here.

Looking good so far.

B II Ian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I honestly haven't gotten much done lately, been busy working to provide money for the build. I scored a 9" 3rd member with 513 gears and a Detroit locker for a good deal this week. I barily even paid for the Detroit locker.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Ever get ahold of the sawzall to start chopping shit out?

B II Ian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well started some chopping, for you low budget guys I found a sawsal works great for cutting brackets off the frame. It's nicer than a torche of a plasma cutter because it doesn't tamper the metal and make it hard to grind.

B II Ian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Frame is cleaned up and almost ready to start burning material on(need to go
Buy still) centered the axle and found where it should be. Drive shaft is questionable but I should beable to work it out. I'm wishing a 78-79 d60 housing wasn't so hard to find orelse driveshaft would be dead nuts and I could extend bronco radius arms.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
you can still do radius arms if you want. Trim the leaf perch back about halfway through it reweld the tube to the housing and get weld on wedges from bronco graveyard. Same as Kyle M did. I know it wont help the drive shaft but it will help everything else

B II Ian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Early bronco wedges don't work on a later d60 te diff is too close to the knuckle

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Thats why you need to trim the housing back some. About halfway though the leaf pad

SGTDHS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual

B II Ian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sry haven't gotten any updates right now. I've been busy working my @$$ off to try and get some cash together. I do have balistic fab radius arm brackets for the axle and i will be getting some johny joints and weld on polly bushings from TMr customs which isnt far from me. Will try to get some Dom for my links also

Last edited:

B II Ian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well guys I've been gettin antsy to get wheelin so been working on the explorer.

79d60 fits perfect , ride height will allow 38" tire and will have around 7-9" up travel for nice cuison trail rider.

I got my johny joints, Dom tubing and couple other odds and ends last week to build my radius arms. I am hopping to have the front suspention sitting on its own weight this weekend to determin ride height. Anyways here are some pictures :)

Axle at full compression is 2" away from oil pan, driveshaft is 2 1/2" away from running into exhaust, it is like the 79 snow fighter 60 was meant to be

79 snow fighter Dana 60 also alows me to run earl bronco radius arms with c wedges and such.
C wedge all notched out to fit d 60 axle tube

Radius arms all cut up and ready for the Dom to be sleaved over to extend to 43" long which seems to do the trick for length.

Dom sleaved over radius arms and ready to weld.

Just figuring out where everything has to be

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Its about time.

Found xmls wanna drive to quebec? Lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals