• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer hybrid leafs are in

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Just wanted to share some info/pics from my Explorer leaf spring swap. I used the whole explorer spring pack, with my BII main leaf and painted the whole stack Ford red. Before ground to fender lip was 29". Now measures 32". I was hoping for an inch or so more of lift so I have some Belltech shackles coming in that will hopefully take care of that. That way I can clear 32" tires. After the shackles go in, I will have to measure for new shocks. I am open to suggestions on those. Once the rear is done, I will measure and figure out what I need for the front, either leveling coils/spacers or etc. On with the pics:

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks good for the front you can get 1.5 to 2 inches by using f-150 coil seats and explorer coil springs will give you an inch of lift

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
looks like its time for bigger rubber.

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yes new tires are in the near future. Hopefully 32s or 33s. I actually have a set of 225/70/15 studded snow tires that are a little bit larger than those Mustang ones. I got them free from a government surplus auction. They are on a set of what looks like a full size Ford spare (15 x 6 - 7.5, really not sure on this). Since I am in SC and we already got our 1 snow/ice event of the winter, I am debating throwing them on there for the hell of it. The wheels need some cleaning/painting.

On another note... Has anyone deleted the rear sway bar? It seems like it really limits the amount of flex in the rear. If I do this, will my driveability be affected?

I knew about the F150 coil seats, but I didn't know about that in combo with the Explorer coils. That's actually the first I have heard about them. I had planned on spacers and if that wasn't enough, going with F150 coil springs. I had my doubts about them b/c of them lifting the front too much. Right now the front measures 30" from ground to fender lip. I will definitely check into the Explorer coils, thanks.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you could always make quick disconnects for your sway bars, so when you get to the trail you can disconnected them and when your done on the trail you can connect them and be on your way

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I got rid of BOTH sway bars on my truck. It took me about five minutes to get used to the different handling characteristics. Still drives on the road like a champ.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals