• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer axle D4? At pick n pull now!

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
Hi if anyone's around right now, I'm wondering if an axle code D4 in a Mercury mountaineer will work

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@MojoWorkin
What year Mounty?
'It should work, but I'm no expert.
Quick google search says "D4" is limited slip. 3.73
Is your truck 4wd?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Explorer axles will generally work, but you'll have to put spring perches on top, or run it as a spring-under. Different proportioning valve for disk brakes. Will need something for shock mounts, as well. Good upgrade but not really bolt-in.

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
Yep. Fingered that out - It just took me a while as I was the Pick n Pull. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Expo Rear-end once I line up a few things. I'm just settling down to do some research. This is what I'm looking to find out:

Perches. It was suggested that I could run without perches. It looks plausible, but my truck is already squatting, so I'd have to tame the lift in the front a little. This would be a short term solution. I'd weld it as soon as I can catch my welder friend in a moment of weakness so I can trick him into it.

Shock mounts? Available as a bolt-on? I can imagine that's a compromise in strength, but I might go for that in the short run.

Brakes. So I've heard that there has been success using the discs with no further mods. Thoughs?

I need this truck back on the road so I can have some other work done to it.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
MojoWorkin,

I chose to move the spring perches to the top and relocated the shock mounts to the correct locations. I bought the replacement shock mounts brackets from the local 4x4 shoppe and had my welder buddy do the whole job for his favorite choice of Mexican beer.

The thing to pay the most attention to is the pinion angle, the rest just depends on a quality welder buddy.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I kept the spring perches on the bottom since my truck is 2wd. And lowered the front. I needed lift shackles on the back and used pinion shims. But I didn't have to change the proportioning valve my brakes work fine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I kept the spring perches on the bottom since my truck is 2wd. And lowered the front. I needed lift shackles on the back and used pinion shims. But I didn't have to change the proportioning valve my brakes work fine.
Mine worked fine UNTIL I went to 95-97 dual piston front calipers... then I had to switch to a '86 F-250 MC (its all cast iron)

Mine was a D4 also. 14 years later I have no idea why I remember that.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Using an Explorer axle in factory config (sprung under) will drop the rear suspension by several inches.

My recommendation would be to use a Ranger axle if you don't have access to a welder.

If you can borrow some space at your buddy's shop, the Explorer 8.8 is a very easy swap. I carefully cut the spring perches off with an angle grinder and reuse them. Then you just need some shock tabs from your local 4x4 supply place. You need U bolts too - AutoZone has a U bolt kit for about $25 that works well enough. Alternately you can spend $130 on a kit from RuffStuff that includes perches, shock tabs and u-bolts... up to you.

Someone was selling a bolt in, no welding required 8.8 swap kit for Rangers but I really am not a huge fan of that. I feel that anything less than welding perches and shock tabs on is not acceptable.

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
I agree that a bolt on solution is not ideal - Wouldn't use it except to patch it together until I can get stuff lined up. I have some other work that might need done, and would get it all out of the way at once.

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ALL THE HELP!! I'll keep y'all posted.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The RuffStuff kit is the real deal. Makes it so easy I could do it. Literally the hardest part was figuring out where to put the shock mounts. Might want an angle gauge though. (The harbor freight one is great for this.)

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
It's the welding that is tripping me up - I can get it done, but I'm weighing that against the possibility of finding a bolt-in Ranger rear which is proving elusive for less than $500. I found one, though. Prices are all over the place from wrecker to wrecker.

Anyway, can you say more about figuring where to put the shock tabs? (I think I saw a video on Youtube about how to do this.) I found an Expo rear end about 60 miles away, but it's also where Ruffstuff is located, so I can go get all the parts in one swell foop. Rear discs! Yum!

Decisions, decisions...

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I just looked at where the are on the ranger axle and welded the ruffstuff mounts in the same place. One of them is directly centered on top of the explorer sway bar bracket and the other is in front of the axle from it. Just set them and spring perches level with the driveshaft flange angled up by however many degrees the ranger axle is when you take it out.

Edit: Basically measure and copy the Ranger axle to the Explorer one. Or bolt it in, tack the perches and shock mounts. then take it back out to finish weld.

I read lots about welding to the axle tubes. How it's supposed to be easy to melt through them. I call BS. I layed into mine with a BIG MiG welder and had no problems. Maybe be careful if you have a habit of burning through 3/16 plate?

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
Yeah - I don't even weld, and I was skeptical when I read that.

Well, I still gotta find a rear-end. I drove 120 miles 'round trip today, 3 Junkyards, six possible candidates. Some didn't even get opened before I passed on it. The best of the bunch, the one that I thought would be *it* turned out to be a chipped-tooth hag with over a 1/2 inch of metallic goo in the bilge. The gears were nice and shiny, though! [sad trombone] Weird though, it felt pretty good when checking for play. Go figure.

Yeah, I'm being picky. If I can find a Ranger differential that is cheap and I just slap it in, fine - It'll do for now, but if I have buy more bits, weld them on, etc, it better be exceptionally cheap and pretty.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Got anything like a THIS in your area? I got a rear axle for like $70 cause they thought it was a dead axle from a FWD car. Same thing on my front axle. D35 TTB and Explorer 8.8 loaded in both cases.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals