• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer A/C in TTB Truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I remember right, the Ranger used an FS6 possibly...? The FS10 is probably overkill.
Yeah, older Rangers did. 98+ used the FS10 (per Rockauto anyway)

I also don't know if I did go to something else how well they would like running at a different orientation.

Planning on new everything else. Evaporator is kind of a PITA to pull to even see if it is any good so I was going to pass on that. Not worth killing half a day to save $30.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

if you run the entire explorer system with the box adapted..and dash...you can literally make it a bolt in.

I prefer the gen 1 dash though

I was just looking at the master cool crimper for when I do mine...

If it will work for what you select for hose and fitting kit I will mail it to you.

I was looking to make a system extension for when I build an overlander top....it will be more then worth the cost to me.....and depending on what we put in the b2...probably going to have to be custom.

So let me know.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
What really sux is the b2 has a 4.0....but it had no air box when I got it from mark so I put a steel g30 unit in it when it got cold out....and I won't have time to bolt an oem setup before I take it wheeling...AC is nice out west .

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I would rather not have AC than have to trade my dash for a 95-11.

The topper screwed up my window airflow, I could take it off but it isn't one you slip off on a whim.

We need to know more about this overland roof...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The orientation of the compressor shouldn't matter too much, as long as the inlet/outlet are in the same location, which on the FS10 they would be close enough. The main thing is to not have them on the bottom I think. You wouldn't want oil in the hoses running back to the compressor and slugging it IF the compressor is the lowest component in the system.

My compressor ended up being mounted kinda sideways on the custom bracket I made.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'91 Rangers also use the same FS10 compressor... with a manifold.

Wouldn't it be cool if the evaporator hose would reach? :drool:

I think I could swing the tube coming off the drier back and get more reach so then we are just down to the orientation of the manifold...

markinms

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31 X 10.5 X 15
My credo
Duty, Honor, Country
I've got everything together to get my a/c going again. Just trying to determine what radiator will work best for me (another post). I'm using an Explorer compressor, dryer, and related hoses (rock auto). I'm using the stock BII condensor and evaporator. I'm using a stock BII evaporator-to-condensor line. I'm using the Explorer compressor manifold hoses, with the condensor end modified using the stock BII fitting. A local hydraulic shop did the cutting and welding (see pic). The radiator is the issue for me at this time.

Hope this helps!
Mark

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got everything together to get my a/c going again. Just trying to determine what radiator will work best for me (another post). I'm using an Explorer compressor, dryer, and related hoses (rock auto). I'm using the stock BII condensor and evaporator. I'm using a stock BII evaporator-to-condensor line. I'm using the Explorer compressor manifold hoses, with the condensor end modified using the stock BII fitting. A local hydraulic shop did the cutting and welding (see pic). The radiator is the issue for me at this time.

Hope this helps!
Mark
View attachment 61560
Evaporator end fits the older evaporator?

Have you done any test fitting yet?

Last edited:

markinms

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31 X 10.5 X 15
My credo
Duty, Honor, Country
Explorer a/c dryer is a direct replacement and screw-on to the BII evaporator. One of the compressor manifold lines goes to the condensor (modified) while the other goes to the Explorer dryer (direct fit). The stock BII line goes from the lower evaporator connection to the condensor (direct fit).

I have done test fitting and all things "appear" to work well together.

Once I get my radiator issue resolved I'll post everything I did with pics.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I actually hit the JY and looked at various systems looking for inspiration.

The Explorer "hose" isn't as much hose as I thought it was. It seems most of it is rigid, not sure if it is steel or what but I couldn't cut it with a knife.

It has a big dogleg in the hose off the drier to drop it down. Relative to the body even with the bodylift I think my engine sits a lot higher, guestimating I think the dogleg would put the hose about even with the bottom of my alternator.

I am also not sure how it will fit with my old vacuum advance distributor.

The '98 4.0 with the big hose @Shran mentioned has a ton of potential. It goes down under the engine and back up on the passenger side. Compressor mounts similar to the 5.0. Not sure why they didn't use the same hoses really. Anyway that would be a clean option to keep the crossover hose out of sight and it seemed to have a lot of "hose" to it for wiggle room.

Then I walks past this ol' '93 F-150 with a 300. There is a lot to work with here.

Hardline back to the firewall which looks like about the same distance as a Ranger. Drier connection takes the same wrench. 10 miles of hose going up and out of the way of everything along the firewall which drops down the DS with a hardline ahead to the compressor.

And then to the condenser it has a bolt together end (which I guess I would really prefer) with a bunch of straight rubber hose with plenty of room for alterations.

The 5.0 variant hose manifold set looks like it has more provisions to dodge things like exhaust manifolds... I need to find one of those to observe while I try to wrap my head around the evaporator/drier.

Anybody know what the style/size the fitting going from the compressor to the Ranger condenser is? Some sort of quick disconnect o-ring thing.

I do have an evaporator on the way so I can get that put in and start seeing for real what I have to work with.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Man... ideally you need to take your truck to the junkyard and just start assembling crap to see what fits. That's probably a pipe dream though.

I think you are kinda limited to what fits your accumulator/drier and evaporator - to me that's the important part, those pieces kinda have to fit your HVAC plenum. I don't know if the newer Explorer or Ranger parts would fit a 1/2 gen plenum or if you are better off trying to use 1/2 gen parts there. In my mind, that's really the most important part and is the place you should build from, then pick a compressor, and then you can worry about hoses and a condenser.

That 5.0 Explorer hose looks the most promising to me but like you said your distributor might be a problem.

You should also check out the hoses for a '94 Crown Victoria - they apparently have the FS10 compressor and the manifold block on the back of it can be purchased as a separate piece with little short female quick connect fittings on it. I betcha you could use that and easily find some hoses that would be long enough or have them custom made... a LOT easier than trying to find the one piece 90-94 4.0 V6 style mess we have been talking about.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you are kinda limited to what fits your accumulator/drier and evaporator - to me that's the important part, those pieces kinda have to fit your HVAC plenum. I don't know if the newer Explorer or Ranger parts would fit a 1/2 gen plenum or if you are better off trying to use 1/2 gen parts there. In my mind, that's really the most important part and is the place you should build from, then pick a compressor, and then you can worry about hoses and a condenser.
markinms says the second gen Explorer drier will mount on the older evaporator and serve as a sort of adapter to the newer metric stuff for the Explorer hoses.

I think the older FS6 compressor has the same mount so I could roll that either way. Both were "optional" during the second gen's reign.

bird's post had a link to a whole bunch of manifolds, they are down a bit.

My FIL came home last night so I could check out his '91 4.0 Ranger, it turned out be an earlier one with the around the back hoses.

I think I could get the hoses to reach but with all the hardlines it will be hard to twist the manifold enough to line up with anything.

1. The F-150 setup I think would work, I might have to shorten the big hose but a splice is easy. Still have to deal with the condenser end though.

2. Just run a FS6 compressor (if it will mount up to my bracket) from a 2nd gen 2.9 with separate hoses. Condenser hose will drop in, suction hose might need extended (or it might not if I reclock the big bent elbow coming off the drier) How it will play with my intake though... I don't think it would work. Could still do a totally custom hose.

3. The 2nd gen 4.0 Explorer might work but there is a lot going on down below on my Ranger that is a lot different than on an Explorer. Still have to deal with the condenser end though.

4. Totally custom or some combo thereof. I REALLY like the F-150 routing kicking the hose up and out of the way of everything and that would be hard to DIY. Older F-150's had the same routing, it would be cool if I could find a manifold adapter and run a F-150 suction hose and a 2.9 Ranger discharge... nobody comes out and says "3/4 JIC" or anything like that (I know it isn't JIC) for what sizes or connection style the hoses are which makes it hard to shop for fittings. Still working on that.

I am really leaning towards just getting the F-150 hose assembly and replace the one end. I might do a little JY R&D and see how the '150 drier and hose looks on an first gen Explorer evap housing, I didn't have enough tools or time yesterday. F-150 302 has the compressor up high which given the smaller Ranger may not be an issue.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Just run a FS6 compressor (if it will mount up to my bracket) from a 2nd gen 2.9 with separate hoses.
I think the main thing for the compressor is how it mounts to your bracket. I am just assuming the Explorer compressor that matches your brackets would have the four long bolts through the compressor body vs the 2.9 style that go through the front to adjust tension.

Seriously check out that 94 Crown Vic hose setup. Of everything I have looked at yet, that looks the most promising for making custom hoses and using a compressor that will bolt up to your bracket.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the main thing for the compressor is how it mounts to your bracket. I am just assuming the Explorer compressor that matches your brackets would have the four long bolts through the compressor body vs the 2.9 style that go through the front to adjust tension.

Seriously check out that 94 Crown Vic hose setup. Of everything I have looked at yet, that looks the most promising for making custom hoses and using a compressor that will bolt up to your bracket.
1988 F-150 uses a FS6 that mounts like a FS10 per Rock Auto

I will give the CV a look though :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyway the evaporator (83-94 RBV), drier (1989 Ranger) and compressor (1999 Explorer) are in route. As is the compressor to condenser hose for a '89 2.9.

New plan, find a manifold to put the 2.9 hose on the compressor and just make the hose from the evaporator to the compressor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals