• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer 8.8 disk brake questions

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Found this for sale close to me.

Ford 8.8 out of a 97’ explorer with disc brakes 3.73 with locker, 31 spline, came from a running truck
decided to use a different axle
$450 firm

Thinking about using this rear end on my 351C build.

questions -

1. will the 3inch wider have any real bearing on the differences going into a 1992 ranger?
(mounting brackets and wheel off set, street tires)

Explorer rear axle 59.5"
'83-'92 Ranger rear axle = 56.5" (7.5 & 8.8)

2. Is this swap worth the hassle and give better rear braking? now is the time for me to go it as the truck is stripped to the frame.

3. would you buy this and do the swap on your truck?

cheers thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dat price, ouch, hope it's really clean with fresh brakes, low mileage and/or new clutches in the trac-lock... 8.8s around here run about $200, less if they are worn out

1 - It'll push your tires/wheels further out. Not sure if you care or not. Looks cool I think. You will have to be careful about your wheel/tire selection so that they stay within the wheel wells or they can rub going over bumps
2 - Meh. I like drums in the rear. I did a disc swap on my '92 Explorer and will tell you that the difference is negligible.
3 - Definitely not for $450 unless it was a really nice axle. It's gonna be an $800+ project if you have to replace all the wear parts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
since you mentioned better rear braking.....

do you need the tone ring in the rear diff?

the 2010 & 2011 Ranger rear axles DON'T have the tone ring but they do have really big disks , 11.6" x 3/4" vented, with emergency brakes in the hat.
they also have the Explorer style big wheel bearings & tubes, but alas, they only have 28 splines in the carrier.
the center section also has the bung for Crown Vic watts link pivot, but it's not tapped.

forgot to mention, they are 8.8 and have tone rings at each wheel for the roll stability control stuff.

just more info to complicate your choices :icon_thumby:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I put disc brakes on all my Rangers because I hate drum brakes for a variety of reasons. I do not like the idea of 3" wider axle in your truck unless you want to run different offset wheels on the rear to keep the track roughly correct, or unless you want the tires to stick out the side of the truck. So, unless your current axle has issues, I would just put Mustang brakes on the axle you have now.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Angie ,
-$450 is steep, I have only ever felt good installing a used axle after a complete rebuild.
- the extra width translates to extra stability to me. With 11½" wide tires on standard Ranger offset it is nearly unnoticeable but wider than 12½" it starts to show. Like I suggested, I think of it as a poor man's stability boost.
- I dislike drum brakes, I feel you are getting much more beef/strength but it comes with extra weight to your rig.
- I am for the improvements that axle offers but $250+/- is what I expect to take possession.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
450 is way to much go to a salvage yard normally 150 bucks depending on your build you may need pinion shimes or to change the spring perches. Get the parts you know you want. Not someone elses aborted decisions. The exploder 8.8 also has a 2 inch off set also not to big of a deal but still a factor if lifting sky high

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remember, he is taking Cdn pesos, so $450 is about $300 USD :p

Explorer axle is spring under. So, will lower your Ranger 5" unless you change shackles or weld new spring mounts on top. Explorer shock mounts are on the spring u-bolt plates; you need 2 ?passenger? ones to make it work, but they will work with existing shock. Explorer sway bar mounts to frame behind the axle - not as effective as frame twists more. Alternative is to grind off the Explorer ones and install Ranger sway bar.

Explorer spring mounts are off by something like 0.5". There's enough play in springs, mounting holes & bushings to accommodate - if I hadn't read the numbers in Ford body builder's manual I would never have known.

My rant:

Mustang (non-GT) disk brakes are inferior to anything other than non functional drum brakes (which unfortunately there are too many of out there).
The calipers only have 32mm pistons; the rotors are solid/10.5"​
The Explorer calipers have 48mm pistons; the rotors are vented and 11-5/8"​
The result is Explorer rear discs apply almost 3X the braking force of the Mustang ones. (2X, the Mustang GT ones).​
And parking brake on the Mustang ones sucks too - it was designed to be applied arm strong, and the foot pedal causes them to over adjust meaning you go through pads...fast​

I did the swap into my '99 but then it is only 1" delta on my newer truck. Also, I run Mustang Cobra rim, which would need 35mm spacers anyways. I was lowering it anyway (3 not 5", so there are "lift shackles" to put everything back where I wanted it).

Note: I also did 13" Mustang rotors up front as the 17" Cobra rims had room; going from 11" Ranger rotors to the Mustang ones, makes a difference.

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, thanks for all the replies :)

Yes don is correct, canadian dollars ... ;)

I was seeking advise on the out with the 8.8 that's in there from a 1990's, and placing in the expo rear end. wasn't looking to rebuild it, or do anything to it. (if i wanted to go crazy, i have a 9" from a truck with a 3.73 racing carrier I could shorten and dump money into for this build, however, this wasn't in the cards yet).

No idea what type of "locker" is in this rear (haven't called to see it yet) was seeking info about the expo rears first.

I have seen over the mustang conversions, looks more of a PITA to hack and swap when a complete swap looks easier.

Don, thanks for the info, never considered the under spring mounting. and lowering up to 5 " will be too much. any chance there is a tech article about this swap and the procedure involved in mods needed to make the expo bolt up? street truck. non lifted 2whd.

cheers thanks all.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hey guys, thanks for all the replies :)

Yes don is correct, canadian dollars ... ;)

I was seeking advise on the out with the 8.8 that's in there from a 1990's, and placing in the expo rear end. wasn't looking to rebuild it, or do anything to it. (if i wanted to go crazy, i have a 9" from a truck with a 3.73 racing carrier I could shorten and dump money into for this build, however, this wasn't in the cards yet).

No idea what type of "locker" is in this rear (haven't called to see it yet) was seeking info about the expo rears first.

I have seen over the mustang conversions, looks more of a PITA to hack and swap when a complete swap looks easier.

Don, thanks for the info, never considered the under spring mounting. and lowering up to 5 " will be too much. any chance there is a tech article about this swap and the procedure involved in mods needed to make the expo bolt up? street truck. non lifted 2whd.

cheers thanks all.
I made my own bolt on pieces to swap to spring under on my stock rear. Should work the same going the other way. Its somewhere in my low buck race truck build.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I made my own spring plates when I did my 8.8 swap out of 2.5" 1/4" wall tubing, with the angle I put on it I think I got two 7" pieces out of 1' of tube... then I welded a spacer between them and cut the tube notch out with a hole saw so both were the same...

I changed to discs long enough ago that I don't remember the difference, the drums had issues so that's fixed for sure, parking brake leaves some to be desired but I can live with it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals