• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 5.0, m5od-r2... clutch hydraulic help.

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Need help with my swap. I'm converting my Ranger over with an Explorer 5.0 and an F150 m5od-r2. I ran a quick part number reference between the F150 and Ranger. The slave cylinders are the same, so that's what I installed. But the master cylinders are different in diameter and mounting style. Will the Ranger master work even though its smaller? Or do I have to fab a way to get the F150 master to work? Thanks for the help!

Edit: Yes I ran a search, some say it works others say no. I'd like to hear from someone who has gotten it to work.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Haven't done it but........................

If the slave is the same then it will have the same travel distance for the fluid pushed in.
So I can't see any problem, physics-wise.

The F-150 master might have a bigger piston and shorter throw to make pedal easier to push down if V8 pressure plate has stronger springs, so worst case would be stronger left leg in a month or two :)

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think I had to use a 1994 explorer clutch master cylinder to connect with the slave cylinder in my M5ODR2 transmission. Can't remember where I found that tidbit, but its in TRS somewhere.

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Both valid opinions, thanks guys.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you will need a slave with a 7/8 bore. not a standard 3/4

i used a 89 ranger master 7/8 bore. you will need a ranger 7/8 bore master to work with the slave cylinder. and depending on the clutch you used. the clutch rod will need to be extended from the pedal to the master. i have this exact setup in my truck. used a 89 ranger 7/8 bore master. 90 ranger slave. with the m5odr2 trans from a 96 f150 behind a 302. now putting it behind a 351w. couple things worth noting. the pedal will be stiffer with a v8 pressure plate. the shifter location from 88-96 is further forward than a ranger so a custom shifter handle or the top plate from a 97-02 f150 will cure this. and the firewall seam needs to be bent it to get the trans in plce. but the trans mount is the same. driveshaft yoke and length are the same. so its a great swap.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need help with my swap. I'm converting my Ranger over with an Explorer 5.0 and an F150 m5od-r2. I ran a quick part number reference between the F150 and Ranger. The slave cylinders are the same, so that's what I installed. But the master cylinders are different in diameter and mounting style. Will the Ranger master work even though its smaller? Or do I have to fab a way to get the F150 master to work? Thanks for the help!

Edit: Yes I ran a search, some say it works others say no. I'd like to hear from someone who has gotten it to work.
What where the parts numbers?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

jeepfreek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the same setup in my truck. Used the stock 1989 master cylinder, used the slave cylinder and the clutch hydraulic line from the M5od-r2 vehicle. Clutch works great!!!!!!

CaptnCrunch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i Have a auto 90 ranger. Going to 5 speed swap it with a v8. I got a 89 clutch pedal assembly plan on using an 89 Master cylinder. today i picked up a M5OD-R2 transmission from a 2002 F150.
from what i gather i need the clutch line and Slave (has old one on the trans) from the 2002 F150 and the line will plug right to my 89 Master i want to use. can anyone confirm this ?? if so i would list all the part numbers

96 rang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 ranger 5.0 swap can i use stock master cylinder on 2002 4.2 m5r2 transmission

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals