• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 1995 4R55E to 5R55E Swap - No Lockup

ozze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello! I really need help!

I changed my old 4R55E wich broke a band to a 5R55E from a 1997 Explorer.
The tranny was just rebuild.

Lockup failed to engage immediatly when I took the car for a test drive.
What happens is that when I pass a certain speed (80km/h) lockup should engage but instead the OD light starts to flash. At first I had a few DTC's concerning o2 sensors and ABS wich I have now fixed. Well.. All but one. Code 648. All gears seem to shift like the car was new, up until that moment when OD should kick in.

I usually disconnect the battery and reset the computer. When I drive I have to remember to press the OD button on the shiftstick to disable it. Then I can drive without any problems.. Although at a higher rpm since od is disabled.

I should probably mention that I used the torque converter from my old tranny (I cleaned it thoroughly before I installed it). Why didn't I use the one from the 5R55E? When I shook it, I heard a rattling sound from within the tc wich I couln't locate. My old one seemed better.
I also used the bellhousing from the 4R55E and the neutral safety switch as mentioned in another thread.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34303.html

What have I done sofar?

1. Well, I have tested the TCC solenoid by grounding a certain pin in the pcm connector-cable while having the ignition on and I can hear the solenoid going on and off under the car.

2. I adjusted the bands, both OD and intermediate, 2 turns on OD and 2.5 turns on intermediate.

3. Checked oil level wich is perfekt.

4. Rechecked that the oil I used meets the required standard.
http://www.mobil.com/Ukraine-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_ATF_320.asp

Could there be a sensor sending the wrong info to the PCM?
What are the symptoms if the Torque Converter is broken?

Please! I desperatly need help as the car broke over a year ago and I still haven't got it running as it should!
I know there are people out there with lots of knowledge about these things, please, Help me.

Regards
Henrik from Sweden

ozze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Please, can anyone help me?

freelife04239

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know about helping you but you sure can help me lol. I am thinking of doing the same swap. I could use all the details you can give me. Was there any thing tricky about it? what should i know what mistakes did you make that you can warn me about. im switching from a 4r44e to a 5r55e in my 98 ranger and the tranny im getting is from a 2wd 97 explorer.

ozze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I followed this thread when I made the swap.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34303.html

To begin with .. It's not easy to do the swap. I went to hell and back during that swap. Everything is rusted and stuck, the tranny is really heavy so you need to bring a friend to help u with the heavy lifting.

I also had this with me for assistance:
http://grufmanbil.se/webshop/mektips/DemonteraVaxelladaExplorer.pdf
It's in swedish but perhaps you can translate it in google translate? Or atleast look at the pictures.

The bolts to the exhaust manifold were a real pain. They are STUCK!
You need to apply plenty of heat! What you need to have in mind when warming the bolts is to shield everyting around the area from the heat. There's lots of electrical cables in those areas. You can apply heat to the exhaust manifold from the front wheel area, under the fender.... I dont know the correct word here, I hope you understand what I mean.

The torque converter is bolted to the flexplate ... you need to remove the starter engine to access the bolts (inside the bellhouse).

Good luck with your swap!

/Henrik

ozze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
An update:

I was wrong all along!
OD works! What I thought was 4th gear is infact 3rd gear with od activated.
I spoke to a tranny mechanic earlier today and he told me to drive at around 100km/h (60mph) and gently press the throttle.. and while doing that the rpm's should increase with the same speed as the speedometer... and it does.
I have been trying to fix a problem that isn't there :(

What controls the 4th gear? The mechanic told me to check the oilpressure to the forward band by pressing the lid to the OD servo in a little bit while having the car on a stand and accelerating to 60mph. If I get oilpressure to the servo, the lid should press out against the stopping ring and I should feel that in the tool pressing the lid in.

Does this seem to be a good way to test this?

Is it possible that my VSS is sending the wrong info to the PCM? (my speedometer is working)

Any ideas on this matter is extremly appreciated!!

/Henrik

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals