• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explanation for this resistance value in relay coil?

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was testing my EEC power relay coil in my 1991 3.0 and noticed something strange. The resistance value of the control coil was 1 (infinite). This would seem to indicate that the circuit was open, which it shouldn't be. Yet, when I applied 12v to the two spades of the control coil, there was a click and the other circuit pathway closed like it should (based on resistance testing).

I tested a couple of other relays (a fuel pump relay from the same truck and an EEC power relay from a 94 ranger) and their control coil circuits showed resistance values of around 60 ohms.

So I figured the relay in my 1991, while apparently still functioning to a degree, had something wrong with it.

I just tested the resistance of the control coil circuit in the new relay that I bought and it was 1 also!

So what is going on here? Shouldn't the control coil circuit be closed? Wouldn't a value of 1 indicate a problem?

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I think in the case of an electromagnet coil what you read was correct. But how you you understood it may have been wrong. I may be wrong but the less resistance in a circuit is always better.

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't a closed coil circuit have a resistance value? The other ones I tested did.

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh -- just in case this was causing confusion -- when I say the resistance was 1, I mean the multimeter said "1", or "infinity". Not 1 ohm.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
It may not be a conventional relay, it could have a small circuit board in there with an electronic driver. In that case the “coil” is a high impedance input that you cannot measure in the normal way.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Try reversing the meter leads. If it's a relay that has a diode across the coil to suppress inductive lockup, you'll get closed circuit one way (low ohms) and the correct coil resistance reading the other way. "Infinity" would be an open circuit.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Infinite resistance I do believe would be absolutely no continuity in the circuit. As in just hold the leads in the air. The coils in relays are really reliable it's usually the contacts that fail.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think RobbieD got it right. Not sure what meter you're using. Most digital meters indicate an open circuit or infinity with "OL" for overload. If you got a reading of 1, that is close to no resistance and probably reading back through the flyback diode. Reversing the polarity of your leads should give the correct coil reading. I also agree that the coils rarely fail. It's usually dirty, burned or even welded shut contacts that cause a relay to malfunction.

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm just using a fairly cheap multimeter. As I said before, it gives a reading of "1" to indicate an open circuit. So, before I touch anything, it reads "1" to indicate that there is no continuity. And that is the reading that I was getting on the control coil circuit that puzzled me, because the relay seemed functional.

I tried reversing the polarity of the leads and it makes no difference.

If I was NEVER able to get a reading from the terminals of the coil circuit, I would assume there was something going on like 8thTon suggested (and maybe that is the case for this one), that prevents measurement in the normal way. But, I measured the fuel pump relay with no problems, and I measured the EEC power relay in my 1994 with no problems.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
HF meters display a '1' for an open (or above selected range) condition so it's not unheard of.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals